Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, using my phone (calls, gps, all of it) while driving has now been made illegal in my town, so I figured with the tickets, buying one of these was going to be a wash. It's about 260$ shipped on ebay from eonon. Showed up in about a week.

Eonon G2110Z | Car GPS | Car DVD GPS | 2 Din Car GPS DVD | Android Car GPS | Android Car DVD Player

I'm going to skip over the details on steps such as radio removal, there's plenty of stuff on youtube about that.

Remove radio with radio keys.
Pry up trim with nylon pry tools. Disconnect cables and set aside.

Cut off nubs, leaving some just in case original radio needs to go back in. I saved around 1/8-1/4 inch.

IMG_20150222_134844.jpg

Put back trim and test fit dash kit. Mine needed the slightest bit of trimming as shown:

IMG_20150222_135612.jpg

Test fit shows a darn near perfect fit. Fits much better than I expected.

IMG_20150222_135554.jpg

Here's the radio in for testing the harness.

IMG_20150223_154930.jpg

I have the 2000 ML with the bose amp but no fiber optic cables. I used the metra 70-1786 wiring harness (lists as for land rover). I used the pre-amp outputs instead of the iso-din harness (which should just plug in with no harness on a non-amplified, non-fiber system). Otherwise it was just matching up cables, soldering cables together, or using some wire splices for ACC and 12v+. You will also need an antenna adapter, metra 40-vw12.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the unit.

I haven't had a chance to really dig in and get it configured the way I want, but wanted to document my steps before I forget...

Stuff still to do:

1. GPS antenna. It comes with one, but I'd like to have one mounted to the roof in the factory hole. I think it's going to take around 5 meters of cable to get there. Alternately, I might be able to use an existing cable, I think there is one already run for the factory GPS option (not installed on mine).

2. Subwoofer. There is a seperate pre-amp hookup for a subwoofer, but the bose amp expects the bass sound to be included in the signal for the other speakers. Unfortunately in this case, I think the radio also has a bass filter on the normal preamp lines, so this causes the subwoofer to not operate. I have to dig into this more to figure out what my course of action will be here.

3. Backup camera. I found one on ebay that mounts in the factory license plate light hole. I need to measure it all out and verify first though. Also need to find a place to pull a wire from either the backup lights or the fuse box to let the unit know the car is in reverse.

Car Reverse Rear View Parking Backup Camera Mercedes Benz M Class ml W164 W163 | eBay

Unfortunately, that one is in AU. Haven't found the same unit closer.

So, if I'm really lucky, I might be able to use existing cables for both of these. IIRC, there are 3 cables that come off the GPS antenna. Do they go straight to the dash, or do they go else where?

I see the following unused cables behind the radio:

IMG_20150223_152242.jpg

IMG_20150223_152309.jpg

Thanks!

More to come as I work with the unit and get the install cleaned up.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I put my GPS antenna up at the corner of windshield on the pass side. I ran the cable along and under the rubber trim . I then snaked it across the body and down the door trim into the car and under the dash to the radio! Nice and neat ! Hope this helps! The cable is running across and under the edge of that black door plug!

Smokie

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the pics. I think I have to go a little more "stealth" for my install, I'm in a city and don't want to attract any attention.

Looks like you have the same dash kit I do. I have been trying to figure out how to cut down the bezel for a perfect fit, I think I might try to put it on my router table and see how that goes.

How long have you had the unit for and has it given you any problems?

I just pulled the headliner down at the back of the ML. Looks like I have one cable beneath the antenna hole. Have to do some more poking around to see what the connector is.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hey, thanks for the pics. I think I have to go a little more "stealth" for my install, I'm in a city and don't want to attract any attention.

Looks like you have the same dash kit I do. I have been trying to figure out how to cut down the bezel for a perfect fit, I think I might try to put it on my router table and see how that goes.

How long have you had the unit for and has it given you any problems?

I just pulled the headliner down at the back of the ML. Looks like I have one cable beneath the antenna hole. Have to do some more poking around to see what the connector is.
Chris! not sure what u mean by stealth but if that means putting the antenna inside the car I would not ! You will get much better reception on the roof in full view. As you can see the antenna is not very conspicuous in that location. My install was a little harder than yours as I has the FO loop on the whole system. We just eliminated the amp cd changer and the sub under the seat. The tech just did a straight wire up to the speakers. They sound great and the wife loves to hear her tunes off just a micro sd card. Yes the outer trim was kind of pain in the ass ! I had to find one to fit the unit. The one I did get was to small and would not fit around the unit. So a bunch of filing and sanding I got it to fit pretty well. Radio works great no problems so far. I have almost the same unit in my F350 only it has the android. The ML does not have the android! Wife would never use it so why pay for a dead horse! Here is the one in my truck! A little side benny I got with the truck unit is that being android I was able to copy and download the Sygic sat program to my phone! It is a stand alone program and I need no web connect! Works great !!!

Smokie

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I have had the non android unit for a good 4 years and it's been playing up for the last 2. Could be just my unit, it will randomly turn itself up and the screen gets confused occasionally. The gps antenna works fine placed centre of the dash under the screen.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris! not sure what u mean by stealth but if that means putting the antenna inside the car I would not ! ... My install was a little harder than yours as I has the FO loop on the whole system. We just eliminated the amp cd changer and the sub under the seat. The tech just did a straight wire up to the speakers. They sound great and the wife loves to hear her tunes off just a micro sd card.
Smokie
Stealth to me means looking as close to OEM as possible, at least on the outside. Nothing to advertise that I don't have the OEM radio, which no one would ever want to steal. I figure I can put a button antenna on the back and it shouldn't attract too much attention.

Yeah, the fiber would have meant more wiring for sure.

Yeah, I have a 64G sd card in the mail. That should hold me for a while.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had the non android unit for a good 4 years and it's been playing up for the last 2. Could be just my unit, it will randomly turn itself up and the screen gets confused occasionally. The gps antenna works fine placed centre of the dash under the screen.
I assumed I was going to have to pull the unit and replace the capacitors in around 2 years due to heat in the car and sketchy electroytic capactiors. Maybe a small fan would be some good preventative maintenence.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I see the following unused cables behind the radio:

View attachment 1338393

Thanks!

More to come as I work with the unit and get the install cleaned up.
If memory serves the cable on the left is the Factory Antenna cable. This cable is routed and connected to the roof antenna. All ML's (regardless of if they have GPS NAV) come pre-wired with the antenna cable.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If memory serves the cable on the left is the Factory Antenna cable. This cable is routed and connected to the roof antenna. All ML's (regardless of if they have GPS NAV) come pre-wired with the antenna cable.
Thanks!

I learned something yesterday. The factory Bose amp takes speaker level inputs. So using the pre-amp outputs from the radio results in a really quiet output with distortion at normalish sound levels. I removed the metra harness, pulled the illumination pin (orange wire) out of the harness and inserted it into the iso plug provided with the radio. The metra pin is shorter than the others, but seems to make good contact anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
I learned something yesterday. The factory Bose amp takes speaker level inputs. So using the pre-amp outputs from the radio results in a really quiet output with distortion at normalish sound levels.
You have learned wrong. Either you have connected the amp wrong or the settings on your HU are incorrect.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You have learned wrong. Either you have connected the amp wrong or the settings on your HU are incorrect.
Are you sure? Seems that the audio in the ML320 has changed often. I haven't touched anything amp or speaker related in the vehicle, so it's all stock. Heck, maybe this ML doesn't even have an amp. It has the Bose logo in the stock head unit, and it has the under-seat subwoofer. I assumed that it had the amp, but to be honest, I haven't put my hand on it, so I can't say 100% that there's an amp in there. It was my understanding that the MLs with the Bose option did have an amp though.

When I get some time, I'll take a peek under the dash and see what's there.

What I do know for certain is that the radio and speakers act much more like I would expect them to using the speaker level outputs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yep, theres an amp in there. Here's a pic.

As an aside, I always like to see electronics that require large aluminum fins covered with a blanket.

I attempted to unplug the amp to make sure it wasnt bypassed, but the connectors defeated me.

Is there a Pb-blaster type product for electrical connections?

IMG_20150228_140306.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
There is a sort of a clip holding the plug in. You don't need PB or anything like that.
If the amp was bypassed you would have seen it at the connector to the radio. Believe me the amp would not be bypassed. The wiring is different for bose & non bose systems. If the connector at the radio is not tampered with then the amp is active. If you want to make yourself feel better & be 10000% sure remove the fuse on the bose amp. That might be easier if you are struggling with the connector. The other option is remove the bracket holding the amp & while the amp is down remove the connector.
But again, if the connector at the radio is not tampered with, then everything is original.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hey Chris! Don't leave us dangling here pard! We would like to see pics of the finished install!

Smokie

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Chris! Don't leave us dangling here pard! We would like to see pics of the finished install!

Smokie
Heh, not finished yet. Im waiting on a gps/gsm/wifi roofmount antenna and the backup camera is coming from china. The backup camera shpuld be interesting, it mounts where the light for the license plate goes, looks pretty discrete, but its not made for my model year, so there may be some cutting involved.... And of course there will be the running of the cables.

Until thats done i wont be putting the trim on as it looks like its only good for a few on/off cycles.

In other news, I updated the software with android v4.4.4 and its now rooted, so Im getting closer to where I want it to be. Nighttime dimming really helps as it can be distracting at night.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Well Chris! I hope it is better than some I have installed! The one for my truck that came with the cam the cam picture was crappy! I had a cam laying around that I was going to put on my camper and so I installed it and the pic was much better. The only thing it did not have was the lines for backing up! I did not find them very useful on the orig cam!Big prob with those cams is no adjustment to the pic ! Ya takes what ya gets ! Good luck hope ya get a good one!

Smokie

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Chris! I hope it is better than some I have installed! The one for my truck that came with the cam the cam picture was crappy! I had a cam laying around that I was going to put on my camper and so I installed it and the pic was much better. The only thing it did not have was the lines for backing up! I did not find them very useful on the orig cam!Big prob with those cams is no adjustment to the pic ! Ya takes what ya gets ! Good luck hope ya get a good one!

Smokie
I think the radio has the capability to add the lines to the picture. The camera wasn't free, but it was pretty cheap. I'm not holding out for high quality, but I have often been pleasantly surprised. I didn't have much choice in cameras that fit.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Well if you fig out how to get the backup lines in your radio let me know!! I have trashed around on mine and can not find anything that pertains to the backup camera!

Smokie

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Does anyone know how the speed sensitive volume line works on the ML320?

Wolfgang says it's on pin 1. Depending on the voltage and how it's encoded, I might be able to hack this in.

Mercedes M-Class Model Year 2000 MCS pinout

Also thrilled to see that there's a pin for reverse right there in the connector, when I get my electrical kit, I'm going to test that one out.

I thought one of these options was putting ther lines on the video, but not sure. Who knows what "reversing the trajectory" means?

IMG_20150304_164359.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
7 Participants
Firewater
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing