Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SL500
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner's manual for my 1997 SL500 says that if you "double click" the alarm button while pointing the remote at the trunk lock, the trunk lid will open.

I have tried this every way I can think of. Fast clicks, slow clicks, while the alarm is armed, while the alarm is disarmed. So far I have not had any success getting this to work.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,293 Posts
I'm not sure if that's accurate. Recent model remotes have a separate button which opens the trunk.
See yellow arrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Silver CLK350 Cabriolet
42 Posts
I have a 97 SL500 also and am not abble to make that trunk feature work either. The 98 and new cars have a seperate button. Thet also have an inside cabin trunk release that the 97's don't have. If someone has a 97 and can make the trunk open from the remote, please post details.

·
Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,293 Posts
I posted a photo, but somehow it's not posted anymore. Here it is again.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 SL500
1,259 Posts
my 97 does not open the trunk either. i think benz remote

control system sucks. it seems like they use infrared instead of radio waves. i have to be almost 1ft from the car before any remote features work.

·
Registered
SL60 ///AMG
110 Posts
RE: my 97 does not open the trunk either. i think benz remote

Carlo$ - 2/8/2005 5:50 PM
control system sucks. it seems like they use infrared instead of radio waves. i have to be almost 1ft from the car before any remote features work.
Be happy aboute the infrared. I hade earlier a Saab 9-5 Aero with radio wave control. Every time I parked my car at my home, I could´t close or open the car with my remote. I was interupt by something. It work everywhere else, but not at my home. Hmm, maybe the WiFi transmitter to ny network? [:D] The infrared has always worked but as you mention, in a short distans.
/HÃ¥kan

·
Registered
2000 SL500
106 Posts
I had a 97 SL500 and I too tried to figure out the 2 click for the trunk and after 100's of tries I just gave up. As for the IR yes it may not have a very good range(have you changed your batteries) but it is much more secure than the radio wave remotes. With a radio wave remote, someone could use a learning remote to learn your cars remote while you unlock the car. With the IR remote you will have to be head on in the direct line of site. I don't know about you but even though the person who "learned" my remote could not steal the car, they could steal the expensive stuff that ends up in my car and I would go nuts trying to figure out why it is missing. I much rather have the more secure remote and the inconvience of not being 15 ft from my car before it will unlock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts