Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
mercadies 280CE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my fuel filter this weekend instead of the $9 i pay for a renault filter i was charged $110 for the Mercadies

What should a fuel filter cost?

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts
there is no housing, a fuel filter is like $14-18 if i got it from someone who gives me a discount off list price

you dont sound like you know too much about them here Mercadies

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,157 Posts
I know gassers and diesels must be different, but there has to be a housing. What does the filter fasten to?

Is there one in the gas tank?

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Fuel Filters

There are two fuel filters on the 280CE.

1. A big cannistor thing that looks very much like the fuel pump that it sits by at the back of the car underneath right hand side. There is a shroud cover thing to take off and that gives access to the mounting bracket for the replacement of the whole canistor thing. I would say this could cost the $110 you quote...?

2. A small inline fuel filter is also located on the inlet fuel pipe into the fuel distributor. It is a tiny brasss thing with a gauze filter thing inside. There are two pipes to the fuel distributor, one inlet and one outlet - Not sure which is which, just try one, if it is not that it must be the other. This might cost the $14-18 you quote....?

Martyn.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I paid 11 bucks for mine(Bosch) from autohausaz when they had a sale on fuel system parts.

·
Registered
82 230E, 2001 ML320
15 Posts
If it was the rear fuel filter, I just had mine replaced as well and I purchased the Mann filter for about $75 (it was 47 euros) at the parts shop. Had fun getting it installed as the old one had cracked and was spilling fuel everywhere.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,157 Posts
24$ (220NOK) at my filling station, 19$ (169NOK) at the cheap auto retail store..
If you get it from Mercedes it's over 100$ (500NOK) :)
220/24 = 9.16
169/19 = 8.89
500/100 = 5

Wacky math.

Then again, the dollar may have dropped in value during the calculation...

·
Registered
mercadies 280CE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a puriflux although we used the garage lift i had to wait 2 hours then do the work myself as the mechanic i gots useless it took just under 20min & he charges 32Euros an hour

10 euros for the work & 30for the filter sounds possible

The prices do vary normally i know in advance the price,this time i was really in a hurry i thought it would have cost about 26 euros as the other fuel filters for injection were about that price without discount

I really hate being ripped off.in this case if i go somewhere else hell loose my custom and i have 4 Renaults!Id just asked him to gas my aircon 90 euros and change the disc pads on the front of the mercadies

Its pouring with rain & my garage is a mess changing pads is quick, those jobs will go else where. over the year he will loose far more than he cheated me for one oil change is enough

·
Registered
mercadies 280CE
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How could i make such a spelling error!

I spoke to the garage,firstly i asked at a more costly "big town" garage what a fuel filter would cost,36euros

The garage was i bit odd,hes normaly ok,i ask him if he hadent made a mistake,he said of course not,then took his calculater added half an hours work tax came to 54€

Next he added a bit more more tax got to 59€ i dident say anything about him not giveing a receipt as it had been a satuarday when i paid he said " you dont want a bill" so he dident pay the 21% TVA

I smiled as he couldent get to 66.77 € !!he then said if you dont agree dont come hear?Very odd as i have 4 Renaults & always go to his garage!

I wonder if he has problems?A few days ago he shouted at his wife,upset the oldest mechanic who is wonderful i have a fifth Renault a 1959 Renault estafette which was make well into the 70s and ask him when something thats hard to get to needs doing or just advice!

In France if you work more than 35hours you pay no or less tax anyway theres a benifit,his mechanics now work from 8am until 19.00pm with one hour for lunch.Includeing Satuarday!!!!

I thought they would close monday as others do but their open even more odd they all work the 6 days & are showing signs of stress,I wont give them more work but it is odd he dident just give me a 10 euro credit & go on as normal?

Not long ago he changed a thermostat then a switch.The switch wasent broken that cost 12€ he asked if i wanted to put the old one back i said it was ok i wonder if his bank is being difficult?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts