Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'92 400E
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a 1993 400E with 95,000 miles on it. His wife got out of the car and never got back in... 5 years ago. Since then it has just been sitting. No fuel stabilizer... nothing. It has been in an unheated garage in New England ever since. Kelley Blue Book has a price for a running one at about $5,000. This has not been run in 5 years. But it was a daily driver up to that point. Cosmetically it is very good.

What are the things that might have gone bad that would make this a deal breaker? What should I look for? And what would a fair price be? If I have someone drop the gas tank and flush it, I can do most of the other work myself. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

GlenInProv

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,886 Posts
You will have general problems associated with old gasoline. Chances are that the gas evaporated and gunked the tank.
Before starting the engine, I would open the tank, suck it dry, check the pickup sock for dirt, refill and than try to crank it.
There is parallel topic, that if you are lucky and the tank hold the pressure the old gas might still work, but if you let the gunk enter the system, the job about triple.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I'd bet even money that the car has ASR and ASR/limp home mode problems, hence the wife's behavior, and those problems are still going to be there. Inexplicable ASR problems can make a car essentially undrivable and hasten its demise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts