Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Aussie, that's super clear - luckily / surprisingly both front ones are still there, only the rear ones have fallen off with passenger's side gone AWOL.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,166 Posts
I'm trying to recall what adhesive I used. I'll have to look in my "glue bin" It was awful black stuff. You can see in the pic of the window glass attached.
Regarding the adhesive - I recall us discussing this several times. I did a number of tests using a surplus window from my w123. I ended up using a product called Flexset. Available from West Marine & other sources. Reason was that it remains flexible and adhered to both aluminum and glass.
The slider slot is wider than the glass. On my 72, the originals used what was likely an early epoxy impregnated into felt strips that filled the gaps between glass and aluminum. I used narrow spacers made from thin aluminum. These located the glass centrally and then Flexset was injected to fill the gaps.
The above worked for me and still holds after many years.
I later had a different need on my boat. Still required a strong bond between aluminum and glass. The recommended adhesive was Dow Corning 795. This is used to adhere glass to aluminum frames used on high rise buildings. Like Flexset it retains flexibility while maintaining strong adhesion to both substrates. It is hard to find in small quantities, but would, I think be a good choice.

Other products will no doubt work. Probably best to avoid those that set hard.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,339 Posts
Regarding the adhesive - I recall us discussing this several times. I did a number of tests using a surplus window from my w123. I ended up using a product called Flexset. Available from West Marine & other sources. Reason was that it remains flexible and adhered to both aluminum and glass.
The slider slot is wider than the glass. On my 72, the originals used what was likely an early epoxy impregnated into felt strips that filled the gaps between glass and aluminum. I used narrow spacers made from thin aluminum. These located the glass centrally and then Flexset was injected to fill the gaps.
The above worked for me and still holds after many years.
I later had a different need on my boat. Still required a strong bond between aluminum and glass. The recommended adhesive was Dow Corning 795. This is used to adhere glass to aluminum frames used on high rise buildings. Like Flexset it retains flexibility while maintaining strong adhesion to both substrates. It is hard to find in small quantities, but would, I think be a good choice.

Other products will no doubt work. Probably best to avoid those that set hard.
Yes MBG, I actually used Dow 795, I think after reading one of your posts.(y)

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks gents. I took a look but I don't see either DC 795 or Flexset available in Ireland / Europe, so I'll likelt give E6000 a shot. I've used it a few times and it held up well, so I'm hoping it will work on this occasion too. As a nuclear option I've a tube of glue for sealing windscreens, the reason it's the last resort is because it's next to impossible to remove once hardened so no room for error.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts