Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989w126
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason the right REAR door cannot open more than halfway now.
And it is impossible to close back without producing an horrible cracking sound.

Can someone explain what to do this door. Diesel Giant does not have anything about that problem.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Whatever you do, avoid closing it. Get a check strap for that door ASAP, because once you close it and the strap breaks, you'll have a hard time pulling it out. Worse, the B pillar weld point will break if you force it open. The key is to leave it open/accessible so you can remove the inner panel and replace the strap. Lube it with lots of WD40 first to at least temporarily lubricate it. The new one will not require lubrication, installation is straightforward. Painting it body color is up to you also.

·
Registered
1982 300CD; 2012 ML350 BT
1,595 Posts
Both. I have replaced them due to mechanical failure, which was probably caused by loss of lubricant. Usually the door swings wide open with no checking at all.

They were less than $30 at my indie.

FB

·
Registered
1989w126
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just want to say they are rebuildable. I did so.
BTW I would recommand everyone should clean and reassemble them BEFORE they go breaking. You need a friends hand to help push back the 2balls 1 spring assembly into the slider, but other than that..... pretty easy to save 60 bucks :

No more skwirking. 2 new rear doors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts