Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 500SL
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody has ever repaired the opening/closing mechanism for the storage compartment that is built into the door. If I remember correctly, these were replaced with airbags after about 1994 (ours is a 1991). The door for the storage compartment is spring-loaded to make opening and closing easier, but one of the springs got worn out, and now the door is just permanently spring-loaded closed, which is quite annoying. Additionally, the plastic hinge in the front broke, so the front of the door flops around a bit.

Anyone know of a good method to fix this without spending hundreds on a replacement, and get the spring-loading to work correctly again?

In case you're not sure what I'm talking about, you can see the storage compartment here: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c133/stats007/th_R129DoorCard.jpg

Thanks!

Maciek

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
In both worlds of the three pointed star there are repair reports.
I used "T" nuts mounted from he inside of the panel with short SS philips head fasteners with SS washers that are visible when the side compartments are open. That repaired the broken plastic hinge. Since the locking system still worked I did not need to redo that. I used T nuts with the claw flange so as I tightened the fastener the claw would lock into the backing pressed board and not stick thru the leather. For me size was important! Cost was a few dollars! Good luck

·
Registered
1991 500SL
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you take a picture and email it to me? Also, pictures of the exact parts that you used would be good, hopefully I can find similar stuff here in Poland.

[email protected]

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
I will attempt a photo, tomorrow if my narrative was too weak. I have several cars stored in the "car barn" and don't visit them everyday. :)

·
Registered
92 500SL, 95 Range Rover LWB, 82 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit, 67 Plym Baracuda conv
33 Posts
Door Map pocket fix

I've repaired this on 2 SL's using 2 different methods. The most recent was to use Nylon adjustable shank rivets from McMaster Carr (98295A302). They have a black head so you don't notice them. Remove the door panel and remove the broken studs with their screws. If only the front studs have snapped, you should be able to complete the repair without removing all of the screws (saves the hassle of chasing the the lift springs in the hinge), but eventually they will all break so you will revisit this repair. It seems that valets like to ignore pull handles and grab the pocket lids.

Drill out the broken studs with a 1/8" drill and use it as a guide through the door panel to drill through the plastic hinge. Insert the Nylon rivet from the pocket side through the hinge and stud (for a spacer), slip on the keeper, and add a cement or super glue to keep the keeper in place. You may have to shim with thin washers to get the proper tension. Then clip off the excess rivet shank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts