Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 sl600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started some of the interior work on my sl600. The door panels are in decent condition but were not stable when weight was applied. I removed the door panels and found the problem areas. any input on how to fix them would be greatly appreciated.

1) the moisture barrier isnt connected anymore. should I replace or just reconnect? is there anything that I should check before sealing it back up assuming water has gotten behind it.

2) the leather on the door panel is not connected in the center

3) the arm rest/ compartment screw holes have torn through the board behind panel.

4) majority of clips are gone/broken and is it worth attempting to repair the indents in the actual leather? and if theres anything else that i should look into please let me know

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle
Luggage and bags Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bag
Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Sleeve Wood Gesture Finger Collar
Wood Automotive tire Window Gas Composite material
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
'96 SL 500
106 Posts
I would take it to a good interior shop that knows what they are doing
Yes, given it's a SL600 with the fancy stitching.

If it was me, and my lowly '500 with standard panels I would...

Glue the moisture barrier back on the car. With a contact adhesive glue (brush a little on each surface, wait 10 mins and bring together). You must be able to buy that black glue stuff, but it stays soft and sticky so it can't quite be your usual silicone goo. Hard to replace barrier in entirety as side airbag is mounted on top of barrier and is secured by rivets.

The bit of 'card' that is stuck on the top of the door. That is held on with metal clips. Mine too was starting to detach from the rest of the panel when I bought mine. On mine (bearing in mind it was still 80% attached to my door panel) I used a no-more-nails sort of building suppliers glue. Put some between the two surfaces, used clamps and clamped it down. Once all dry I could reattach to the door. Initially the clamps left indentations on the vinyl/plastic surface but over time (heat etc from sun) it all came back to normal and the door panel is flush with the top of the door.

A hairdryer and a light massage might help to do something to the actual leather (is is all actual leather, or just partial or a real crafty one, none at all!) to smooth it out and remove indentations. Don't go too crazy, I would hate for it to get worse on my 'advice'.

The missing clips can be replaced? If they are the semi-sacrificial clips I am thinking of. Some of the mounts for my clips were broken/loose. It looks like your clips are still in the door, along with their mounts. I used a hot-glue gun to re glue them back onto the door panel. The factory seems to use a hot glue in places. You might also be able to glue the bits together in regards to the arm-rest/storage screw holes. The repairs should be able to last re-assembly, but may not last a reassembly and a future disassembly if you get my drift. Fix everything here and don't go back is what I mean!

Top speaker mesh seems to not be fitting quite right. That could be worth getting done professionally, as a novice with glue might just make a huge mess.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
3,329 Posts
If by clips you are referencing the plastic welds, you can use screws and washers. You can screw into the plastic welds, and use the washers to hold the board in place.

·
Registered
2000 sl600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely need to find a repair for the speaker mesh. I have an aftermarket high end audio system in my other car and I’m still completely amazed at the quality of the sound system in this car. I’m guessing not everything is working to full potential, but after 20 years and how good it sounds is shocking. If that system came in my 4Runner I wouldn’t have replaced anything.

I am thinking of running a thin strip of metal, gluing it to the board that’s there . Drilling holes to line up with where the compartment screws into the board. And fastening it that way. Any input on this? I’m not sure how to repair the holes of the leather besides re gluing to the back end and not worrying about the torn loops in the leather.

·
Registered
2000 sl600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On a positive note, took for a short drive. No dash lights on. Soft top works great, maybe a little harsh when connecting to the top of windshield. Not sure if that’s normal. V12 is amazing and I get what everyone says about them. For what I paid and only having wear and tear items that need replacement. I think I got insanely lucky. Partially because the previous owner was not a car guy and just didn’t want to fix anything else on it. Went to Edmunds for the pricing and knocked a lot off. I don’t think that site takes into consideration how few were made and how few are left. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Usair: One thing I would do for sure while you have the door panels off (if you haven’t done or thought of yet) is to clean all the window track mechanisms and apply new lube, you won’t regret it and your electric windows will live longer than you and you should never need to go back into either door.
There are you tube videos by Mercedessource K. Bergsma Indy fantastic info. Just sayin.

·
Registered
'96 SL 500
106 Posts
I definitely need to find a repair for the speaker mesh. I have an aftermarket high end audio system in my other car and I’m still completely amazed at the quality of the sound system in this car. I’m guessing not everything is working to full potential, but after 20 years and how good it sounds is shocking. If that system came in my 4Runner I wouldn’t have replaced anything.

I am thinking of running a thin strip of metal, gluing it to the board that’s there . Drilling holes to line up with where the compartment screws into the board. And fastening it that way. Any input on this? I’m not sure how to repair the holes of the leather besides re gluing to the back end and not worrying about the torn loops in the leather.
Amazed and shocked at how good? Or Amazed and shocked at how bad it is? Your speakers seem to be in good condition. It's not uncommon for them to get quite water damaged over time.

I can't quite picture your metal strip idea in my mind. I can't see any holes or torn loops in the leather in your pictures. There are leather repair kits which you mix up some different products with colours to fill the holes in leather. It's made for seats, so if it's good enough for a flexible seat I would think it would be fine for a door panel. It really depends how good you want to get the car, and how much you want to spend on it.

On a positive note, took for a short drive. No dash lights on. Soft top works great, maybe a little harsh when connecting to the top of windshield. Not sure if that’s normal. V12 is amazing and I get what everyone says about them. For what I paid and only having wear and tear items that need replacement. I think I got insanely lucky. Partially because the previous owner was not a car guy and just didn’t want to fix anything else on it. Went to Edmunds for the pricing and knocked a lot off. I don’t think that site takes into consideration how few were made and how few are left. I guess time will tell.
My car is quite loud when releasing from the top of the windshield. Especially the hard top. In a traditional convertible from that era the front windscreen latches are usually done by hand so it was probably a lot of effort to have it powered.

Luck can run out at any time! But for now, it all seems ok which is a great.

·
Registered
2000 sl600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Usair: One thing I would do for sure while you have the door panels off (if you haven’t done or thought of yet) is to clean all the window track mechanisms and apply new lube, you won’t regret it and your electric windows will live longer than you and you should never need to go back into either door.
There are you tube videos by Mercedessource K. Bergsma Indy fantastic info. Just sayin.
I will look up those videos and definitely do that. Thank you

·
Registered
2000 sl600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amazed and shocked at how good? Or Amazed and shocked at how bad it is? Your speakers seem to be in good condition. It's not uncommon for them to get quite water damaged over time.

I can't quite picture your metal strip idea in my mind. I can't see any holes or torn loops in the leather in your pictures. There are leather repair kits which you mix up some different products with colours to fill the holes in leather. It's made for seats, so if it's good enough for a flexible seat I would think it would be fine for a door panel. It really depends how good you want to get the car, and how much you want to spend on it.

My car is quite loud when releasing from the top of the windshield. Especially the hard top. In a traditional convertible from that era the front windscreen latches are usually done by hand so it was probably a lot of effort to have it powered.

Luck can run out at any time! But for now, it all seems ok which is a great.
at how good it is. The shop I took the car to said in the current condition I could get 3-4x price paid. so the gamble paid. I don’t have any plan to sell it but it was nice to hear.

The torn loops are where the door compartment connects via screw to the door panel. The screw runs into the panel and is also an anchor point for the leather of the door card. It was as if the person who took the panel off last just man handled the door panel until it broke free and tore all the connection points.

I would like to get the car as close to perfect as possible. At this stage in the process I am enjoying working on some smaller things but I know my skill set can only get it so far. so ill pay to have certain things done. The biggest issue for me on the interior is the walnut trim piece that runs from the cup holders to the arm rest is cracked and missing a fair number of pieces. Unless they are under the seat. the only one i have found is on eBay for 700$ and even that one is not perfect. I don’t know what the right thing to do is.

·
Registered
'96 SL 500
106 Posts
The biggest issue for me on the interior is the walnut trim piece that runs from the cup holders to the arm rest is cracked and missing a fair number of pieces. Unless they are under the seat. the only one i have found is on eBay for 700$ and even that one is not perfect. I don’t know what the right thing to do is.
The Sl600's generally had a lot more wood that the other models, so getting some bits is hard and expensive. @sushipaste recently had some or all of his woodwork refurbished, maybe you can have yours refurbished.

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,446 Posts
The missing rollo(sliding cover) pieces for the cup holder are most likely under the cup holder assembly. You’ll have to remove the center console wood, the wood frame for the cup holder and armrest, the armrest, then the cup holder itself.

All the wood can be easily restored by Madera concepts but there’s also another wood restoration guy in SoCal named Igor who apparently is cheaper.

·
Registered
2000 sl600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The missing rollo(sliding cover) pieces for the cup holder are most likely under the cup holder assembly. You’ll have to remove the center console wood, the wood frame for the cup holder and armrest, the armrest, then the cup holder itself.

All the wood can be easily restored by Madera concepts but there’s also another wood restoration guy in SoCal named Igor who apparently is cheaper.
The sliding cover is intact and in good condition. The trim pieces I am referring to are what run on the outside border of the cup holder and go all the way back to the center console where the phone is located.

Thank you for the two places. I have not heard of them And will look into it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts