Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members. Completed a job this weekend and thought I'd share the vid. Hope it helps some of you when you decide to do this.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo , 1983 380SL , 1995 E320 , 1999 C43AMG, 2007 E350
171 Posts
Thanks for the video! I need to replace the driver side door check and have never removed the panel so you gave me some valuable information. Maybe I won't break anything now.

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the video! I need to replace the driver side door check and have never removed the panel so you gave me some valuable information. Maybe I won't break anything now.
Glad you found the vid helpful. There is also a thread on the EGv107 in the interior section that has an illustrated instruction to remove the door panel in pdf.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
Very good Video, Renato!

Perhaps the PO has removed the panel in the past or had it done by someone else. There is a very important component that is missing.

You should ensure that you have a vapor barrier glued to the door itself with cutouts for the various protrusions and necessary openings into the door such as the hook at the front of the panel. After that, you can then re-install the panel. Moisture will seriously effect the longevity of the panel and it's no fun to build a new one. On my 73 the integrity of my drivers door panel had somewhat deteriorated over time even with the plastic barrier so I used the old one as a template and reconstructed the whole panel out of similar material. It worked out very well but it shows the importance of the barrier.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very good Video, Renato!

Perhaps the PO has removed the panel in the past or had it done by someone else. There is a very important component that is missing.

You should ensure that you have a vapor barrier glued to the door itself with cutouts for the various protrusions and necessary openings into the door such as the hook at the front of the panel. After that, you can then re-install the panel. Moisture will seriously effect the longevity of the panel and it's no fun to build a new one. On my 73 the integrity of my drivers door panel had somewhat deteriorated over time even with the plastic barrier so I used the old one as a template and reconstructed the whole panel out of similar material. It worked out very well but it shows the importance of the barrier.
Vapor barrier :confused: A plastic film :confused: Can I make one up with a plastic bag ???

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
A little thicker than a plastic bag. Ground cover plastic would be about right.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, great, thanks for the advice. :)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Your passenger side door may still have the barrier in place.
Maybe, I´ll check it this week, but will buy enough material to cover both, just in case... murphy´s law. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
246 Posts
I know this is quite old, but came in handy for me all the same...I had no problem taking the panel off, but as you might remember there are two more little black hooks that are horizontal and towards the front of the car, along with the larger hook which is vertically inserted. I've been wondering how the heck I'm supposed to go both up and down and sideways at the same time...especially since I can't find any slots to match the hooks. Apparently these aren't hooks at all, maybe spacers? Doesn't matter, since your panel went on nicely without you mentioning them at all...so a worry removed! Thank you! As always, Benzworld's members come through.

·
Registered
1999 Porsche 911 / 2013 ML350 / 2006 Mini Cooper S
671 Posts
Very timely. I need to dig into the driver door on the 560SL. Maybe YouTube will have more 107-related vids for those of us that need to be shown what to do. :)

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,392 Posts
I know this is quite old, but came in handy for me all the same...I had no problem taking the panel off, but as you might remember there are two more little black hooks that are horizontal and towards the front of the car, along with the larger hook which is vertically inserted. I've been wondering how the heck I'm supposed to go both up and down and sideways at the same time...especially since I can't find any slots to match the hooks. Apparently these aren't hooks at all, maybe spacers? Doesn't matter, since your panel went on nicely without you mentioning them at all...so a worry removed! Thank you! As always, Benzworld's members come through.
1. Install front hook first.
2. vertical hook behind door pull second.
3. Yes, the vapor barrier is important but it also is an integral part of the HVAC. You notice a forced air duct going to each door? The air blows uselessly outside the car unless the plastic is in place. OEM is glued to the sheet metal, replacement is easier if you use duct tape or equivalent.
4. OP video above shows removal of the window mirror mechanism. This is not necessary, panel comes off fine with it in place.
5. OP pulls the door clips by hand. You might break fewer of them if you use a small lever like a brake adjusting tool to pop each clip as you go around the door.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
246 Posts
and now for that other thing

PanzerPuff;9759553 3. Yes said:
Thankfully the vapor barrier was on when I took the panel off, so I just sprayed a light adhesive and replaced it. However, it was not at all nearly as thick as the thinnest poly one can buy at Home Desperate...more like sandwich wrap! Jeezus I hope I don't have to go in and change it out! The panel has gone on quite nicely but I am having a MISERABLE ROTTEN BITCH of a time getting the chrome piece onto the outer door edge. I made the little shim thing as stated in the EgV, but I just cannot get the chrome trim to slide under that chrome WTF (excuse me can u tell I am frustrated???) button thing that sits on top of it, but is hooked/mounted to the window frame. I've been 3 days on this, my wrist is swollen to the size of a small cantaloupe and my brain is about to explode. :surrender:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts