Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Door Panel and Window hardware help

774 3
How the Heck do I get this rear pasenger panel off and get to the hardward that operates the window? the motor works fine, the windown is not broken however the parts that hold it up are in shambles and I have the replacements however cannot get in there, Please help!<br> <br> 1991 190e 2.6 4D Auto
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First remove the plastic piece around the latch on the trailing edge of the door. It just has a phillips head screw that holds it on. <br> <br> Now, see the grab handle? There's a small plastic bezel around the top anchor point. NOT the rectangular piece that goes around the latch handle! This is a squared-off inverted U shape. Okay - pop that small bezel off and you'll have access to a bolt (10mm if memory serves) that anchors the grab handle. Unscrew that bolt and you'll have enough play in the grab handle to pull it out of your way. Now that the grab handle is out of the way, you can slide the assembly that holds the latch handle forward. The latch handle will disengage from the rod that connects it to the latch (it may need a little help, but it comes off easily) and the rectangular assembly will come out. <br> <br> Unscrew the door lock button. <br> <br> Lift the panel up and away from the door. You might have to work it a little along the top edge before it wants to come free. Be careful not to tear the waterproof plastic sheet sandwiched between the panel and the door. Once you have the panel off, notice that the hook in the middle is longer than the others. When re-installing, insert this hook first and it will guide all of the others.<br> <br> The plastic sheet should peel back from the door and allow you access. I've found that rubber cement works very well for sticking it back on when you're done with the job.<br> <br> Take your time and don't force anything and it should go pretty easily. Good luck!<br>

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just went through this, I removed (unscrewed) the <br> lock 'rod', unscrewed the black door side plastic 'square piece', then pulled back the panel, heard a 'tear' sound, but didn't need to freek out, then lifted up on the entire rubber door panel and it came out, fixed it, then used GE silicone (out of a caulking gun) to glue panel back on, pushed panel back into window track, reinstalled the lock 'rod' , then screwed black plastic piece back on...good as new. j.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.