Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finaly got the 85 500SL on the road after 9 years of restauration.

Can not recall how the seals were fitted or orientation of the seal. It is the horizontal outer door seale aka scraper seal or brush. It is somehow fixed to the door or outer chrome moulding.
Pictures of the door and seal are attached.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Let's see the results ! As they say, if you don't post pictures, it didnt happen :). Show us what your problem is, someone here has just done it. ( or like me, screwed it up once, and now knows how to do it right ! ). :D

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Finaly got the 85 500SL on the road after 9 years of restauration.

Can not recall how the seals were fitted or orientation of the seal,can anyone help?
I recently did the weather seals on my 85 500SL, but I'm not sure which one you are talking about. Are you referring to the window seal that is made with a felt like material. If so I recall having to trim a little bit off the end of the new ones (left and tight) to get them to fit. I ordered mine from the MB classic center.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I recently did the weather seals on my 85 500SL, but I'm not sure which one you are talking about. Are you referring to the window seal that is made with a felt like material. If so I recall having to trim a little bit off the end of the new ones (left and tight) to get them to fit. I ordered mine from the MB classic center.
It is not the inside felt seal. The seal I need to fit is the outer horizontal window seal on the door, aka scraper or brush seal. It wipes the outside of the window when rolling down and is mounted under the outside horizontal door chrome moulding. (The moulding is attached to the top of the door with 5 push-on clips)
This rubber seal has an asymmetrical H shape, thicker lips on one side.

I will post some pictures tomorrow if no one understands the problem description. Click on my profile to see the beauty before and after the make-over.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome to the board. You have done a very nice job on your car, she's beautiful, but we expect that of all Norwegian ladies! If you can post pictures of your problem I'm sure that somebody here can help.
Ned

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a picture from the MBNA W107 Service Book.

I have my door panels still open if you need closer seal & moulding pics etc.
Thank you:), I have a pdf of the MBNA job description, but the text hardly mentions the rubber seal and the picture quality is too poor to help.
It would be very helpful with a close-up picture showing the seal installed, will remove the chrome trim later today and take pictures-

I always liked the nice red color of your 560, looks like new !

·
Registered
422 Posts
hchaugli,
the chrome door moulding strip has nothing to do with attaching the window seal, it just mearly sits on top of it.
The window rubber seal is held in by the clips on the inside of the door panel.
From memory when I did mine (1976 450 slc- may/ may not be different) the rubber was the other way around that is the long thin part of the seal is the bit that overlapped over the door although could be wrong....
Got some photo's on another computer will check and post when i get home..

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Heres the pics of when I did it, looks to be a different seal I used, as I said this was for a 76 450 slc.. maybe the orientation as you have described is correct for the type of seal you have....
Lurker, the pictures are very useful, thanks! I have checked the Russion EPC site and the seal on my car(85 500SL) matches your MB part no A123 725 0265.

Looking at your pictures it seems that short thin part of the seal is pointing up and brushing the window as shown in this drawing I made. If this is correct the seal is locked in between the top of the door and the chrome moulding.

After fine adjusing the window, the seal was installed as shown in the figure, but was pulled out of the window first time opening it. It seems that the rubber pushes hard against the window and the friction is enough to pull it out.

Would really appreciate information on how the seaing rail should be installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

Here are couple more pics from 1986 560SL driver side outer sealings.

Hope these will help you forward,

BR
Thanks yka,
your pictures were very helpful.

It is now clear that I have been trying to fit the wrong seal which was of course impossible.
The right seal has part number A1237250265 as Lurker showed in his pictures and this seal is pushed down in the clip, the outer chrome moulding is then attached to the same clip as shown in the figure.

Thank you for your help - problem solved!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts