Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has found a reliable supplier for door mirror wiring harnesses for W140s

1. Obviously mine have degraded. I dont mind rewiring but if it was cost effective I'd be interested in buying a new loom.

·
Premium Member
1997 C140 S500, 2003 CLK430 Cab, 2005 E320 4MATIC Wagon
123 Posts
I had Victor from restore your Mercedes repair my mirrors that were significantly in shambles
The videos of the repair will follow

Good luck

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,017 Posts
Mirror harnesses were not available from Mercedes. You had to replace the whole inside mechanism according to them.
I removed all the pins from the connectors, and used the smallest possible heat shrink on each wire after removing remaining insulation. It has to fit over the pins to get it on. You have to remove the pins from the outside connectors anyway to get the wiring out to work on. It is exacting work as the wires have to slide back and forth in the housing, and if the individual wire diameter is too big, the bundle won't fit and slide properly. You need to diagram where each wire goes in the connectors, as color codes don't necessarily match on each side of the connection, and some wires aren't color coded IIRC. It I had it to do over, I'd probably use new, high quality wire instead. Either way is a PITA.

Replace the disintegrating rubber gasket between the housing and base with a repo off eBay while you have the connectors off. Mercedes never sold them, but the repos fit well and seem to be better rubber. There are a couple different types , so look at the pictures carefully.

Jon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jon,

I have them all stripped ready to be repaired so will make up the new wiring harnesses.

I did stumble accross this company whilst researching replacement parts. Not sure if they are a legit / reliable business.

Brian

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
241 Posts
I've got some extensive experience with these mirrors, and can repair (replace) the hinges in about five minutes, but I find the wiring very, very difficult to deal with. The problem with adding the heat shrink is that once you've covered all the exposed wiring, the wiring does not "slide" correctly when folding/unfolding and it pinches the wires, preventing the mirror from fully opening. When the mirrors were new, there was a rubber cover that extended from the motor, through the hinge, and then up inside the piece of aluminum that covers the wires. This helps the wires slide when it opens/closes, but for some reason any type of repair usually throws things off and it won't fold correctly. Very frustrating, and I've spent hours on this. I've got a box of about 20 W140 mirrors in various states of disrepair. Several look perfect, but have that folding issue. Not sure where you live, but pick-n-pulls are a great source of donor parts, and you can often find a W140 mirror with good wiring, just with a broken hinge. You can get hinges off of some E-series mirrors, but you can't use the wiring as it's a little shorter than the W140. For some reason, the rubber gaskets on the E-series and C-Class are usually in perfect shape, and I take them off at the junk yard, then cut out the middle and just place them over the motor on the W140 mirror (after removing most of what's left of the old gasket) and they work fine. I can shoot a youtube video of some of my observations about these mirrors if it would help. Fun fact: the CL mirrors are almost exactly the same as the W140, but the triangle portion on the CL is slightly smaller. You can use everything else though.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,017 Posts
Thanks Jon,

I have them all stripped ready to be repaired so will make up the new wiring harnesses.

I did stumble accross this company whilst researching replacement parts. Not sure if they are a legit / reliable business.

Brian
Wow! I don't remember seeing that on their site before. That's the way I'd go, especially for that price. I've bought gears from them, so they are legit.

Jon

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
241 Posts
Only issue is they’ve got the wires as being for W210 and W140, but my experience is that the W210 wires are shorter. Hopefully they are selling ones that are as long as the OEM W140 wires but there’s one comment from customer on their website saying they aren’t long enough.
Wow! I don't remember seeing that on their site before. That's the way I'd go, especially for that price. I've bought gears from them, so they are legit.

Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts