Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1976 450 SL
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning this car for almost 4 years I finally had the need to lock the doors (hard top on). So I'm standing in a parking lot looking like a idiot because I'm trying to figure out how this works.

It seemed to only lock by using the key in the drivers door, this locked both doors and the trunk, at first I was impressed,, then it only worked intermittently,, or so I thought.

I only have the crap CD manual, and not sure where that even is. I have searched the site but haven't found anything on the proper working order of the locks.

The push buttons inside the door dont seem to work either,,, any info would be appreciated as I may have a need to lock again.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
The locks operate on a vacuum system- Pretty cool until it needs service. Your door key should lock/unlock both doors, the trunk and the fuel door. There may be a slight delay as all these work, so give their operation a little time, especially since they haven't been cycled for a few years. More likely with the age of your car, is that there is a vacuum leak. This could be somewhere in the tubing, or on one of the bellows that exert the mechanical force that moves the locks. If this is the case, you will need a Mighty-Vac and lots of patience!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

FYI....

107 Owner's Manuals are available from MB. Check the tech and lit link in the Service Manuals section of the EGv107, or contact the Classic Center, also linked in the EG.

·
Registered
1976 450 SL
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys! I'll post what I find out ,,,after I digest all this information.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,900 Posts
try to lock/unlock with engine running and doors closed (will not let you lock if doors not closed).
running engine vacuum is suficient to overcome minor leaks and will indicate major fault (if exists).
There is a locking sequence. After you lock driver side door, next that will lock is fuel tank door, boot (trunk) and then passenger side door. wherever the lock stops you have major leak or diaphragm tear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts