Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike the typical machine gun locks, I have something new that I need some help with. I did search and read through the forum before posting this.

On my 2001 ML320, the locks seem out of sync. If you press the central lock button, the front door and rear doors unlock or lock in opposite directions.

Press it once, the fronts unlock and the rears lock. Press it again and the fronts lock while the rears unlock.

The tailgate locks keep time with the front doors and all 5 locks do lock / unlock (they aren't stuck).

Has anyone here experienced this? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
00 ML55, 98 SLK230
79 Posts
yeah, had the same thing. Bad relay. There are 2 of them for the door locks. $5 each. They live in the engine fuse box.

After replacement I had to play around with synching the door locks back together. Don't remember exact procedure but got it all back in sync eventually.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks delboy.

Before reading your post, I called the dealer and asked for a power door lock relay and was told there is no such thing. "It's all controlled by a chip in each door lock's actuator" says the parts guy.

Can you give me a hint as to what I should look for and where?

·
Registered
2001 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check the manual and didn't see anything about syncing the locks.

Could you tell me how or point me to an online reference?

·
Registered
00 ML55, 98 SLK230
79 Posts
look in the fuse box under the hood, it is all labelled. K23 & K24 I think. Yellow relays.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2001 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
delboy said:
look in the fuse box under the hood, it is all labelled. K23 & K24 I think. Yellow relays.
Thanks delboy - they were exactly where you said.

I tested the relays by swapping them out with know good relays (the same part #) and it didn't have any affect. Nuts.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Does anyone online have a wiring diagram (at least for the locks) for my 2001 ML320?

I went to the dealer today and they kindly offered "..although we have never heard of this problem but if you just bring in your ML we'll do diagnostics, then give you a price for parts and labor...

I posted my anticipated status after this experience here:

·
Registered
2001 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I replaced the passenger door actuator (it was binding) and the central locking computer.

I also unplugged each individual door to see if I could isolate the "bad" door.

As of now, the driver's door works opposite to the others.

a) Press the lock button, the driver's door unlocks, the others lock.
b) Press the lock button again, the driver's door locks and the others unlock

PS I did buy a wiring diagram for this but couldn't find anything that would indicate (to me anyway) what could cause this.

Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
00 ML55, 98 SLK230
79 Posts
i think i played with manually pushing down the locks that were out of sync and using the lock button on the center console to try to get everything synched up. After messing around with various combinations of the door locks, remote and console lock button for around 30 minutes they finally synched up. Sorry I can't be more precise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's not the relays, but a burnt fuse that causes the driver door to be out of sync with the other doors. Had the standard door lock problem before that required changing the rear actuator. Afterwards, still had the out of sync problem. The dealer charged us $165 just to tell us a fuse needed to be replaced! They wanted another $50 to do it so we just looked for it and changed it ourselves.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
johncliu said:
It's not the relays, but a burnt fuse that causes the driver door to be out of sync with the other doors. Had the standard door lock problem before that required changing the rear actuator. Afterwards, still had the out of sync problem. The dealer charged us $165 just to tell us a fuse needed to be replaced! They wanted another $50 to do it so we just looked for it and changed it ourselves.
Can you recall where / what the fuse was? I'm all for saving $165 and getting this problem behind us.

·
Registered
S Class R Class B Class
28 Posts
ML 270

Hi I have the same problem the front door locks and the others open? out of sync isssue as stated above did you manage to find out what fuse needs to be changed so I can see if it fixes my problem? thanks

·
Registered
S Class R Class B Class
28 Posts
Hi could you please tell me which fuse needs to be changed to fix the issue with the front door out of sync with the rest? thanks

·
Registered
S Class R Class B Class
28 Posts
Door out of sync

Can you recall where / what the fuse was? I'm all for saving $165 and getting this problem behind us.
Hi could you please tell me which fuse needs to be changed to fix the issue with the front door out of sync with the rest? thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,273 Posts
Fuse #42 in the underhood fuse and relay box controls the locking system. You can check it but I really don't think that is the problem. For whatever the reason, the system became out of sync. Follow the instructions for resyncing on page 271 of the manual.

http://www.mbusa.com/media/downloads/common/manuals/ml320_ml430_ml55_2001.pdf

·
Registered
S Class R Class B Class
28 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts