Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
W210, E200 - 1997 & 190E 2.0 - 1986
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that with one key, upon pressing the unlock button on the remote all doors unlock but the other key (spare one) requires two pressings. first pressing unlocks the driver door only and the second one unlocks the rest of the doors.

Any ideas why this is so?

Cheers

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,222 Posts
Read your owners manual, it explained there. Every key can be 'programmed' to either open all at once, or open first only drivers door and then all. I can't remember the procedure how to change the behavior... :surrender:

Edit: Stana vastasinko mä sulle jo tuolla suomalaisellakin foorumilla ??? :)

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Im pretty sure to change from one behavior to the other you hold both lock and unlock buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds. I also think the red light will blink indicating the change was successful.

·
Registered
W210, E200 - 1997 & 190E 2.0 - 1986
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the clarification. I did not know this so I thought maybe one of the keys wasn't functioning as it should. I'll try the "programming" and see what the outcome is.

My Owner's manual is in German and my knowledge of the German language is very, very limited.

@mersum1es
En minä ainakaan tätä kysynyt suomalaisilla forumilla (Mersuforum). Mutta kiitti vastauksesta kuitenkin.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
Im pretty sure to change from one behavior to the other you hold both lock and unlock buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds. I also think the red light will blink indicating the change was successful.
IT WORKS :)
thanks.
Side topic - our new purchase likes lock itself even with key in the ignition. Original remote has unlock button damaged and I assumed locking it with remote and unlocking with blade key messed up the security sequence, but now with new (chrome) key the car still lock itself.
Can't find anything about it in manual so anybody experiencing something like that?

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
IT WORKS :)
thanks.
Side topic - our new purchase likes lock itself even with key in the ignition. Original remote has unlock button damaged and I assumed locking it with remote and unlocking with blade key messed up the security sequence, but now with new (chrome) key the car still lock itself.
Can't find anything about it in manual so anybody experiencing something like that?
Your door switch may have some contact problem.

This is two working scenarios on all my cars:

1. Car is locked. I unlock door with remote, I open door to get in or to get something out from inside. I close door. Door stays unlocked. The computer knew that door was opened so it would not lock door. To lock door, I have to press the remote.

2. Car is locked. I unlock door with remote. But I don't open door. Minutes later, door will lock itself. The computer knows that door was unlocked but never opened so it locked the door back.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
mbvis, that is the same way mine work but Kajtek1 has the key in the ignition when the car locks itself. His is a difference scenario.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
He said "even with key in the ignition".
That meant without the key in ignition, door also gets locked. The door switch is worth a look. Who knows, there may be two problems and one stone gets two birds.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
OK mbvis I see what you mean. So I didn't read his post accurately. Agree that door switch might be to blame.

·
Registered
36,717 Posts
I know those cars relock themselves if unlocked and door is not open, but on this one I can drive it, park with open window and the car not only will lock itself after some time, but will close the window by itself as well. Somehow on couple of occasions I noticed the locking happening right after closing the trunk lid, so maybe trunk switch has to do it, but per my knowledge those cars don't have the option of locking itself with no driver command?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
>>..will lock itself after some time, but will close the window by itself

Now, that's a new symptom for another guess.
W210 has this feature. Driver stops, parks, gets out of the car with the keyfob, but forgets to close the window(s) or sunroof. Standing outside by the driver's door, he can aim the remote at the door, presses and holds the lock button on the remote to close all forgotten window(s), sunroof. Or he can do the same to unlock/open all windows, sunroof by holding the unlock button.
I think the infrared port on your car door gets some flaky contact or a short circuit.
Or your town may be near a naval base where they do all sorts of weird microwave/infrared tests to detect UFO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On my '96 I can lock/unlock the car with the trunk lock, so maybe you do have a shorted out switch somewhere and it's always sending the 'lock' signal to the car.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
On my '96 I can lock/unlock the car with the trunk lock, so maybe you do have a shorted out switch somewhere and it's always sending the 'lock' signal to the car.
Good point. The trunk lock is more likely to have the short than the door, especially in cars that were driven where it's wet and snowy to have rust and leaks. Anyway, I've just tried the unlock action without opening door. The door locks itself in less than a minute. If kajtek1's door locks itself in less than a minute then he definitely got a short circuit or "shorted" switch.

·
Registered
36,717 Posts
The car locks itself in unpredictable time. Sometimes it is 2 minutes, sometimes next day.
The trunk lock shortage seems like logic conclusion. Will have to check it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
I'm having issues with the auto-lock myself. It no longer locks automatically when driving. Even tried the procedure to set it up and still doesn't work. I'm starting to think the age (2000) is starting to catch up to the car when the little things are starting to breakdown.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Wait up.
There's something that I don't understand.
>>but on this one I can drive it, park with open window and the car not only
>>will lock itself after some time, but will close the window by itself as well

The car will look itself when driven faster than 7mph from start. Does that explain "after some time"?
I think an unlock action without opening door, without car driven can narrow down the problem.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I'm having issues with the auto-lock myself. It no longer locks automatically when driving. Even tried the procedure to set it up and still doesn't work. I'm starting to think the age (2000) is starting to catch up to the car when the little things are starting to breakdown.
Are you sure you followed the proper steps? I'm sure the owners manual covers this but I remember setting mine. Pressing the dashboard lock/unlock switch for 5 seconds is supposed to change the settings. I think the car engine was on when I last did this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts