Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the door lock pin on 2007 GL450? I have a set of chrome door lock pin with surrounds that I would like to install. The dealer told me that I would need to remove the door panel.

Thanks,
Noel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried that already even using with vise grip and it won't unscrew. Two mercedes benz dealership have told me already that the door panel needs to come off. I might just have the dealership do it for me.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
525 Posts
The new chrome lock pins should give you a clue as to how to remove/replace. If the new pins are threaded (internal or external) then it is a safe bet they unscrew (left or rh threads??). If there is another fastening method removing the door trim / panel will probably be necessary. Does the source of your new chrome pins - surrounds assure you that they are for your model car?:)

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Whenever I've installed Euro pins (not chrome) I've just pushed them on.

The control rod is threaded, and if you can't unscrew them, then just pull them off. Perhaps you should pull while you unscrew, because otherwise they probably just spin.

ALL Mercedes door pins have been the same since the 1970s and the OE door pins for Euro GLs carry a 123 part number. That is if your new pins are for any Mercedes, they're for the GL too.

I admit that the current USA GL pins are a new design just arrived with 2007 models, but I seriously doubt the USA models require a different control rod so I'd assume the new style pins mount same as always.

It's inconceivable that door panel removal is required, but conservatism (or greed) on part of service personnel is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've already asked 3 MB dealerships and they all said that the door panel needs to be removed. It doesn't seem like you can just unscrew it. I got mine from Jerry @ ************* and he said that I can return it for a refund but I'm still holding on to it until I know for sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had one front and one rear door pin replaced under warranty with some other service items and door panel removal was on the work order. I went back a week later to get the other two replaced that they didn’t do in the first place and asked if I could just get the pins and I would do them myself.

The SA said I couldn’t do it and he had to do the panel removal. I took him over to the car and screwed them in. Is this rocket science? He said he never saw anyone do this before and then walked away dumbfounded.

If the door is locked, you can’t see the dropped control rod. When the car is unlocked the rod is in the up position in plain view and readily accessible.

This was on my E55, not the GL but if the new pins screw on as the OE...try it and see for yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts