Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
01 ML55
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently a gold S320 was irresistible to someone at one point and they tried to take it. I know the PO replaced a rear 1/4 that got busted out.

The key will go in but not turn. I’m thinking the mechanism is either bent or shot. If it’s shot, can I replace it but still retain the cylinder/key combo? I’ve done this before on the M and was able to swap the cylinder so my key worked with the new door lock actuator. Wasn’t sure on the 140

thanks all

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
321 Posts
Does anyone know how to rotate these photos once uploaded?
This is a known cell-phone camera issue. Pictures in .jpeg or .png formats uploaded from a computer usually come out in the form they were intended to be viewed.

EDIT: I am on my desktop. Downloaded your image from post #1, fixed the orientation and as a test, I am uploading it below:

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
On a practical note. I would just replace the entire door if you have only liability insurance. I would entertain a door from a self-serve junk yard where you can get the ENTIRE door for under $50 in the same color. I had some one throw a bricks a five cars in my neighborhood, yet the intention was was to break windows, but I was the unlucky one where it did not break the window like in the other four cars; My car got a nice BIG dent on the rear drivers door... It was just cheaper and easier to replace the entire door. I know how to paint cars. I got a door for $25 on one of those 1/2-off days at the junk yard. You may have to re-tumble key lock your self if Mercedes cannot get you the key-lock.

Self serve junk yards(popular ones):

Las resort these guys are good

Best of luck,

Martin

·
Registered
01 ML55
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a practical note. I would just replace the entire door if you have only liability insurance from a self-serve junk yard where you can get the ENTIRE door for under $50 in the same color. I had some one throw a bricks a five cars in my neighborhood, yet the intention was was to break windows, but I was the unlucky one where it did not break the window like in the other four cars; My car got a nice BIG dent on the rear drivers door... It was just cheaper and easier to replace the entire door. I know how to paint cars. I got a door for $25 on one of those 1/2-off days at the junk yard. You may have to re-tumble key lock your self if Mercedes cannot get you the key-lock.

Self serve junk yards(popular ones):

Las resort these guys are good

Best of luck,

Martin

I actually found a gold 1995 in a yard 80 miles from here that I'm supposed to go get the seats from Monday. I may see what kind of deal they will do on the door!

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Good,

Don't make more work for your self by cutting the wires and the yellow and red vacuum lines. Just unplug them first from the inside kick panel.

These darn doors are super heavy. Bring a helper, or prop-up the door with tires as you remove the hinge bolts, but you can hammer-out the hinge pin if you need to do it too.

Best of luck,

Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts