Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the parts sedan, I can exchange a few into my SEC, one of them being the front door actuators. Included is a photo of how it connects to the door pin; I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the brass connector slipped off the actuator rod. I noticed a little spring in the door lock that connects it to the actuator--does this have any bearing on it, or is it a non-issue? I don't want to risk messing up/losing the spring and making something go worse.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,000 Posts
With the parts sedan, I can exchange a few into my SEC, one of them being the front door actuators. Included is a photo of how it connects to the door pin; I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the brass connector slipped off the actuator rod. I noticed a little spring in the door lock that connects it to the actuator--does this have any bearing on it, or is it a non-issue? I don't want to risk messing up/losing the spring and making something go worse.
This looks like one of those clips that has to be snapped off from the rod itself. The part of the clilp that is on the rod is like a spring "C" that snaps onto the rod. Pull it off (away from the rod), rotate 90 degrees or so and you should be able to push the rod out of the hole.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried pulling it away and it just won't go any further, and it looks like the hole in the door pin has widened as a result (won't be using that but don't want to make a habit of it). Since these parts were designed to be replaced, there must be a way to do it without forcing it or bending anything permanently. I must be totally missing something.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,000 Posts
Boy, I just can't see the answer, even after blowing up your pic. There has to be something you're missing. Can you push the rod away and slide it out from the back? Have you tried a mirror behind to see what you're up against?

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
1,349 Posts
I was able to pull everything out without an issue from the 3 parts cars I had... but I did cheat and use tin snips to basically cut the door so I could get to everything. That is fine for the parts car, but obviously not how you'd want to do it for your coupe

You should be able to separate the actual brass rod from the vacuum element itself. The vacuum pods under the dash work the same. If you can't figure it out, I can take some pics next time I'm in my shed

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,370 Posts
I was able to pull everything out without an issue from the 3 parts cars I had... but I did cheat and use tin snips to basically cut the door so I could get to everything. That is fine for the parts car, but obviously not how you'd want to do it for your coupe

You should be able to separate the actual brass rod from the vacuum element itself. The vacuum pods under the dash work the same. If you can't figure it out, I can take some pics next time I'm in my shed
Nothing in the manual ? https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12253/?requestedDocId=12253

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, Mike and Brian, I didn't realize the rod would separate from the actuator--does it need a firm tug? I was thinking the rod would detach from the door lock pin, then come out with the actuator. I've seen plenty of photos with the rod in the actuator, so there must be some way the rod comes out eventually that I just can't figure out.

Teutone, thank you for the Startek guides--they mention the actuator and show its function in a diagram, but does not mention how to remove.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,000 Posts
Thanks guys, Mike and Brian, I didn't realize the rod would separate from the actuator--does it need a firm tug? I was thinking the rod would detach from the door lock pin, then come out with the actuator. I've seen plenty of photos with the rod in the actuator, so there must be some way the rod comes out eventually that I just can't figure out.

Teutone, thank you for the Startek guides--they mention the actuator and show its function in a diagram, but does not mention how to remove.
DrewPT, I'm getting tempted to dismantle my door just to see what you're up against. Please figure this out before it comes to that! If I know Mercedes, there is an elegant solution to this...

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
1,349 Posts
Got some great pics for ya :) Basically, at the top of the actuator, there's a simple snap which holds the brass rod in place. You can just twist that and it'll come loose. This is the proper way to do it - all other ways (like trying to pry apart the brass fitting from the hole- basically what you took a picture of) are futile and will break the part

Here are the pics:

Snap opened (keep in mind, the actuator is screwed to the door; you'll need to take that out too)

What the snap looks like when it's closed

And finally, here's a pic where it's attached to the brass fitting, after I undid the snap:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Brian, very helpful! Is the rod screwed in--it looks like threads? Or maybe they are grooves to keep it seated.

Once the actuator is out, I wonder if the rod comes out with the door pin and lock/latch mechanism as an entire assembly?

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
1,349 Posts
Thank you Brian, very helpful! Is the rod screwed in--it looks like threads? Or maybe they are grooves to keep it seated.

Once the actuator is out, I wonder if the rod comes out with the door pin and lock/latch mechanism as an entire assembly?
Yup - the grooves help keep it seated :)

I'd have to look at the door assembly again- but I think the other side of the brass fittings you took the picture of are connected to the door catch. It can be unhooked there for sure. At that point, I think you can remove all the brass rod assemblies. As shared earlier, these ones from a Sedan are going to be completely different than the ones in a Coupe

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Brian, I look forward to taking care of this the next time I can get to the cars. The actuator in the sedan front doors is supposed to be the same as in the coupe, and the lock mechanisms different from coupe to sedan (and then front and rear doors are different).

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
1,349 Posts
Correct, the actuators themselves should be exactly the same. I need to find a reliable way to test these; I have about 10 of them in a box collecting dust. I guess just hook a vacuum line up and see if it opens/closes?

The brass assemblies are the part that is totally different. The sedan ones have a much larger pin that goes up with a threaded end (where the door pins screw on). I think the distance between the door catch and the door pin is different for sedan/coupe also, with the coupe being a longer distance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts