Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just got a 2002 e320 4matic, love the car but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. the switch in the door jam that tells the car the door is open/closed seems to be very sensitive to the point where, when im driving if i lean my leg against the door and push a lil the interior lights come on and door locks make a sound, it would also happen a lil when i take a hard right corner. as of now i put a tiny piece of tape on the tip of the switch and it seems that extra 1mm of depression totally solves this issue. any thoughts or what have other people done about a sensitive switch?
thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Loosen the two screws on the lock striker and adjust its position some millimeters, tighten the screws and try closing the door to see if it fits better.

I once almost went crazy trying to bring back the correct closing sound doing this. Has anyone else tried closing the different doors and listening for that compact tight sound that luxury german cars should have ?

I bet your other doors sound different than the door with the problem.

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
last summer, i loosened the door latch's strike plate (attached to B pillar)
to find that nice balance between.....

• easy latching (no slamming needed)
  • firm sounding closure
  • sufficient pressure to 'open' the door switch
i even applied some sound deadening laminate inside the door

·
Registered
61 Posts
wish that i could do that. i guess in nyc, they drill out the heads of the striker latch. i cannot adjust it. tape for now, but it's ugly.

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
wish that i could do that. i guess in nyc, they drill out the heads of the striker latch. i cannot adjust it. tape for now, but it's ugly.
that's crazy. i'm not sure what it is to prevent. one could accidentally close
the door on seat belt hardware and that could shift the strike plate outwards
if conditions were right. whomever drilled out the torx fastener recess should
be kicked in the privates.

fyi, they can be a bear to remove, as the T-50 something fastener are often
times blue Loctited (minor heating before removal)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Same thing happened in my Jetta few years back, the switch was tight but it was f....ed up inside so I stuck a piece of thick Velcro on the door where it touches the switch and that's it. I think I drove like that almost a year until next time I was in the neighborhood to pick up a switch from the stealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info guys, i will prob neatly place a piece of black tape strategically on the door to stop this issue. seems much easier than messin around with strike plates, and the door closes nice and sounds good too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yes.. i have that problem with the rear door.. sticks out just a tad and can feel the draft when highway driving. i don't think those grabbit bits will work on these hefty bolts. i'll see if i can grab a shot tonight to show ya.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts