Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side door has become harder and harder to close. It takes a number of tries for it to stay closed all the way.

When I close from the outside if I hold my hand near the door handle it seems to close on the 1st try. I am sure my neighbors’ love me when I slam my door 5 or 6 time every morning at 6 am.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem?
I do not see anything that looks suspicions with the mechanism. I replaces the striker plat a year ago.

Thanks

·
Registered
1984 300D 375,000 miles 1996 e300d 266,000 miles 1983 300SD 174,000 miles Ascot Grey
453 Posts
you probably already did this, but make sure the plastic part on the bottom of the striker has not broken off. I've been very let-down at how quickly these can break after replacement. They can also last decades, apparently.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,051 Posts
Yep- Benzmiser posted a good pic but you cannot see the "tongue" that sticks out- When that gets old it breaks and then the door many times has to be slammed to have it latch shut. Can;t buy just the tongue, so if you see black ones in a junkyard grab them. Yellow ones become brittle quickly with age. Black ones last longer. There are two styles of of black ones however, but a razor knife will make either fit just fine.

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I looked at the rubber last night and there is no knob on the bottom of the black rubber insert.

Is the rubber insert two pieces? The rubber and the tongue?

·
Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,408 Posts
best to just compare against the others. You can feel a "tab" underneath on the ones that are working. See if you have the same thing on the one that's not working correctly.

If you remove the strike, make some marks with pencil or tape before you take it off to help with properly positioning it again.

·
Registered
1984 300D 375,000 miles 1996 e300d 266,000 miles 1983 300SD 174,000 miles Ascot Grey
453 Posts
Thanks all. I looked at the rubber last night and there is no knob on the bottom of the black rubber insert.

Is the rubber insert two pieces? The rubber and the tongue?
i always understood that the striker could not be repaired. I.e., the rubber part cannot be replaced. I'm going to pissed if i found out different, because i've replaced a bunch of strikers.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Anyone have a part number. This does not look right in EPC
That looks like the right part to me. If you've got that EPC diagram why don't you have a part number? There are two numbers, one for each side of the car.

I'm not aware that the black rubber bits inside are replaceable, but someone mentioned it above. ??? $15 part online and probably worth it if your door is driving you nuts.

I'm curious, has any one needed to replace the shims during/after installing a new striker?

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,051 Posts
The tongue is not available by itself new. You have to buy the whole thing new. BUT- they are one piece and if you go to junkyard you can have all you want for peanuts. That's what I do.

Here's a old post from PP:
There are five parts that come off when you remove the striker from the door: the allen bolts, the metal shim(s), the rubber insert with a female section, the metal frame and the "tongue". There are two version of the tongue- the early yellow verisons, and the later black version. There are two black versions that mate with two versions of the rubber inserts. The main reason the door does not close properly is the tongue is disintegrated. One rubber insert has a groove the tongue mates with and one does not. You CAN replace just the tongue- pull a striker from a junkyard and check it. I had a thread dealing with just this and with full pics. I erased most of my threads, including this one when a moderator came down on me for calling out a BS claim by a newbie one instead of telling the newbie to back off. The forum suffered. I hope it was a lessoned learned. I used to pull the good tongues for members that needed them, but now rarely.
-W

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MTUptown,
Thanks I did a search and was surprised I did not find anything. I would have liked to see you write up. I am short on time and have not found the junkyards to be much help for me. The dealer had a new one in stock (new number 126….) for $150. Passed on that and I ordered one (whole thing) yesterday on line for $15 plus shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts