Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Y2K MBZ C23OK W202
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my car painted on tuesday and was wondering if i should paint the door handles all black. Since my W202 is not the sport model, it has chrome strip handles. I am going to paint the entire car black and thought it would look better with the handles blacked out. Does anyone have any recommendations to move forward with this becasue i am concerned that the paint may crack and chip over time.... or would there be a better alternative.. thanks in advance for your input :thumbsup:

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
The paint will crack and peel over time, especially on the chrome parts where it meets the plastic. Best thing you can do is source a set black handles. Next is to properly prep your current handles for paint and have at it. If they start to chip, you can repaint or find all black handles. Make sure you don't paint them on the car.

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
Your best bet at getting paint to stick to them is first removing them from the car, then scrubbing them with muratic acid, then scuff well. The acid is the only way you will eat into the chrome enough to get anything to stick to it. Dont get it on the plastic part though. You will also need to use a plastic adhesion promotor on the plastic part or you will have trouble with paint peeling on it as well. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts