Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, well after numerous times and debates between a r170 SLK and a w203 C, I decided to go with the SLK. Im only 19, got my whole life to drive a four door when i get a wife and kids [;)] in the meantime, figured get a droptop and cruise the streets.

anyway, its time to search for one, and im not sure if i wanna take the time to upgrade a pre-facelift model with the body kit. the biggest turn off for me is the door handles being black, just kinda turns off everything else. if i found one with the right price, miles, etc. I was wondering how hard it was to either paint the door handles, or upgrade them to the 01+ handles. I searched the forum so save your breathes telling me to search lol. if its something that the dealer or a shop can do for a nominal charge, i wouldnt mind it, itd be worth it just to feel better about it. If anyone has some pics before and after, i would appreciate it as well.

-future SLK owner

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
should be a remove and replace.. pre and post 2000 door handles have exactly the samde mechanism. but from what i have read in this forum they are an ass to take out and even harder to put back.. so i decided to paint them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does the paint hold up well with weather and wear, just curious. i found an earlier thread from a long time ago saying that painting the handles wouldnt be a good idea as it would chip or fade

·
Registered
325 Posts
Best solution to conceal door handles and other parts that are not black - buy a black SLK.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
i doubt the paint will chip if do it right.

Heres what i did:

1. sand the black plastic (Primer and paint wont stick that good on a smooth surface)2. spray with primer,sand,spray,sand til even 3. Spray evenly, gently with paint , let dry 4. Spray with clear coat

fading would depend on what kind of paint you use.

other solutions.. get a black car or post lifted

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Palmateer - 3/5/2005 2:38 PM

Best solution to conceal door handles and other parts that are not black - buy a black SLK.

Well your 320 has body matched handles anyways[:)] but with a black car there's always the problem of those unsightly orange side markers and mirror signals[:D]

slkpwr: for those considering the mod, did you take the handles off before painting or did you just tape off the surroundings?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
You have a couple of options :

Although I have never removed the door handles from the SLK, I have from my 16 valve, and I doubt that there is much of a difference. It's not that hard, and only requires a allen key.
Options:
(1) You could paint your own, easy to do, hard to get right unless you have a body shop do it, then it gets expensive. [:)]
(2) Get a set prepainted from a wrecking yard. Done the right way in the right color, but you don't know the condition until you see them in your hand. (e-bay might work for this). [;)]

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
DA_SURG

i didnt take them out, yeah, i'm a lazy son of a gun... but they turn out to be good.. the color matching, i would say it's an 8 out of 10.. i will post pics..

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
the paint did fade... too bad.. but i just got my chrome door handle cover from jerry and they look really nice.. for silver at least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts