Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I would like to repair the external keyway as part of my SLC's passenger side door.
I currently have the window out repairing the split and rusty bottom glass carrier channel and also re-gluing the guide blocks to the window.
Now seems like the perfect time to remove the door handle and have the external keyway repaired if possible.
I suspect someone tried to steal the car by putting a screwdriver in the door lock (before I purchased the car 30 years ago).
The lock works fine but as you can see from the photo the external cap/escutcheon is damaged and the protective metal internal slider that covers the open keyway and stops dirt and water entering the lock is not visible. I have no idea if it is still part of the assembly, or perhaps given the cap/escutchen is damaged it cannot now slide back behind the cap to cover the keyway

Has anybody removed the externally visible cap/escutcheon form the lock body?
If so ... Any photos available to show how to go about removal of the external cover, and how the sliding protective insert behind the cap actually works?

As always, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,702 Posts
Easy to repair the barrel yourself . After time the reeds inside the barrel wear out and therfore they sit higher in the barrel this stops it turning ...You can file them so rthat they all sit level when the key is inserted . But as for the front cover that is a part of the lock barrel .Best thing would be to replace all the barrel in one,,.Or replace just the cover off pick and pull lock.
IGNh.jpg
but this will mean another key on your key ring

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Plinker.
My door lock functions as it should. I tried the key in the lock this morning, just to check, and as I haven't had a key in the door lock for probably close to 30 years prior to this morning, there should be little or no wear in the lock barrel.
There are no salvage yards in Sydney so removing one from a wreck is not an option.
If I find a new/used barrel, it seems to me that the best option then would be to simply rekey the replacement barrel to suit my key?
Which is what I did with the spare ignition lock I have in storage.

Have you got any detail photos of the end cap that is damaged on my lock?

cheers.

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Graeme
Thanks for the photos. I had printed them out and they are on my workbench.
That is one very clean door handle locking mechanism!!

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Graeme
Don't suppose you have any photos of the keyway end of the lock barrel with it removed from the door handle?
I need to see how the cap is fixed to the barrel.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,525 Posts
Sorry mate. I just cleaned them up but didn't dismantle.

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To those who have been following this, the keyway cap flap has been successfully repaired.
The barrel was removed from the door handle, the keyway cap was removed from the lock barrel, and a new spring was installed to return the flap back to the closed position when the key is removed.
See photo.
The cap still has some damage sustained when some muppet used a screwdriver to try and open the door lock!!
I'll live with that until I come across a spare passenger side handle in better condition. Then I'll swap the wafers from my lock barrel into the spare and install that handle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts