Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SL500
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright boys. I got the new wheels on the car, now for the next project.

I want to make the black door handles on my silver 1997 SL500 the same color as the car like the 99+ models.

Questions:

1. If the stock 1997 black door handles are painted to match the car will the paint last?

2. Are the door handles on the 99+ SLs the same door handles as the ones on my car now? Same shape, material, etc?

3. From every picture that I can find it seems that the rubber gaskets that surround the door handles are always black regardless of the color of the car. Is this correct?

4. Is there anything else that I need to know?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1997 SL500 LE
43 Posts
I would be a little worried about adhesion because the material of the '97 black door handle is not designed to be painted. You might have to sand down the surface somewhat because it will be too thick if you prime it and then paint it and, as you mention, you will have to add the black rubber gasket as well if you are really going to make it look convincing. Have you looked into simply replacing the door handles with the '99 handles? Wouldn't that be easier? You would probably have to get them painted, but at least they would be paintable and would have the rubber gaskets. I have the same year as you and I have been thinking about this, as it kind of "dates" the car. On the other hand, I think they look more distinguished that way, less Honda-ish, if you know what I mean. But I don't want to try to change your thinking if you have made your mind up. I think it will look beautiful on a silver car, but I really think changing the entire handle is the best way to go.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2006 SL500
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Ivorstar. I got a bunch of responses on another forum which really helped me along. The consensus was that painting the handles was not the way to go.

Here's an update.

I went to my local MB today and spoke with one of the more knowledgable parts guys there. He told me that the handle part was $95 and came painted. Additionally, he can have them by Monday (could have had them tomorrow if I had been a little earlier). He also said that they would fit perfectly without any modifications. So, obviously, I ordered 2 of them.

As to the other part, where the alarm sensors are. Those are $311 each. Apparently you have to order them with the sensor. My thinking is that I can remove that part and have it painted and it should stay since it really won't be touched too much or moving around. What do you guys think?

I also went ahead and ordered new gaskets just for the heck of it since I will have the handles off the car anyway (around $3 each). For anyone wondering, as I did, the gaskets only come in black regardless of the year model or car color. There was a 2002 Silver Arrow sitting in the parking lot and it had black gaskets. Even the R230s have black gaskets.

·
Registered
1998 SL 500
12 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the same, how big a job is it to get the handles off? Or are you having a body shop do it?

·
Registered
2006 SL500
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is very simple. A video detailing the procedure has been posted on this forum before. Let me know if you have trouble finding it and I will email it to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts