Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I used the correct terminology, right? I was thinking of replacing all the doors' rubber seals. (They're looking very thin and dicolored.)

How many of you have replaced them?

Also, did you get a noticeably quieter ride after replacing 'em???

-- RS

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Yes I have. Quiter and tighter, sometimes have to reclose the doors several times due to the cabin pressure.

Really easy install with a small amount of adhesive at the door check.

Regards,

G

·
There is really a few things that could make it quieter for you. If they are not leaking watter it is not likley they are creating a wind noise. The seals look thin on the tops of the door frames but they are pretty big once you see them out of the doors. They are not too bad to replace. There is also a felt potion inside of the car that hooks to the body however this is more cosmetic however it does but up and almost create a secondary wind gap. Check to see that the plastic has not been removed from the underside of your door panel. This can cause LOTS of air noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MPL and 126 for your replies on the matter. I'll check out the bottom of the door some time soon, to see if there's any plastic there. To my recollection, I don't remember any plastic part being there in the first place :eek: , but I'll still look. As an aside, if it is missing, how big a plastic part should have been there??

-- RS

G

·
The plastic is acutaly behind the door skin. Its the size of the entire door and basicly like a sheet of plastic visqueen. It is usally white from the last 10 I have seen. Very thin just a little thicker than a doubled up garbage bag. You would not be able to tell without the door skin removed. Check all of the door moldings. Make shure you check the sides too. If anywhere on the sides if the molding is seperated from the body then you would want to replace that molding. Good luck with your wind leak. I have used moldings and such if you find only one is damaged, or you are just not sure and dont want to waste a lot of money tracking it down.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
www_126world_com said:
The plastic is acutaly behind the door skin. Its the size of the entire door and basicly like a sheet of plastic visqueen. It is usally white from the last 10 I have seen. Very thin just a little thicker than a doubled up garbage bag. You would not be able to tell without the door skin removed. Check all of the door moldings. Make shure you check the sides too. If anywhere on the sides if the molding is seperated from the body then you would want to replace that molding. Good luck with your wind leak. I have used moldings and such if you find only one is damaged, or you are just not sure and dont want to waste a lot of money tracking it down.
Hi again 126,

Thanks for that info. How would I get to the door skin? What, exactly, do I have to remove?

Thanks in advance,
RS :)

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,242 Posts
Terve RS,

Remove the interior door panels/upholstery, the weather seal plastic sheeting is glued to the surface of the inner door frame, if it's still there. Many times this sheeting is not replaced or is damaged during servicing of window regulations, door locks, etc.

G

·
Some good double sided tape works good. You can also use butle or a very sticky spray adheasive.

Rollingstone, before you go pulling apart your door panels check to be sure that all the rear doors are closed all the way. You would be suprised how much road noise this will cause. I know it sounds simple but if you dont use the rear seats its possible. Once you ensure none of the moldings are ripped anywhere, and all the doors are closed fully try and figure out what door its coming from by having someone else drive if need be. The door panels are not hard to do but honestly if you have never done it before you will have to take extra care as it is VERY easy to break the trim around the door handle and power seat controls. Best to track this sucker down before you go pulling panels. Just trying to look out for you is all. Try harder to locate the door or doors allowing the wind noise in.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
200 Posts
Silicone is easy to use, and new plastic sheeting can be bought at a building supply place. It helps to have a tack puller and some spare tacks, as they are easy to break. Another source of wind noise could be if the fit of the side windows is slightly off. It's on the mbusa CD's. Good luck, Teutone (aka Horst K)

·
Registered
1982 300 SD
43 Posts
Do you know the part # for the inner door seal for the inner door frame (1982 300SD)? and does it come with felt as well? My driver side inner door seal needs replacing and I can't seam to find it...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Returning to the subject of door gaskets, if I were to have all 5 (inc. trunk) replaced, what is a reasonable expectation of labour down-time from a professional?

-- RS

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any ideas on the labour-time needed, folks? (Sorry, I had to bump this topic to the top of the Board because I didn't think it was noticed, lol.)

//RS

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Can't comment on the full 5 but I have done the rear doors and they were at most an hour job each - and easy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks 420SE for that info! I guess it's therefore a 5 hour (tops) job for all 5 strips.

Btw, can somebody please post a sticky on how to replace the weatherstrips, along with prep and how to remove the old ones (with pics if poss)?

//RS :thumbsup:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
A little more knowledge needed before I start on removing the old door weatherstrips.

Ok, I've decided to DIY this, and I'm pretty okay w/DIY overall. For those who've successfully replaced their weatherstrips, please let me know the following, as I'd like to be prepared, and need clarification:

1) The new gaskets are one-piece items. Is that how they're installed, or do I need to make a cut on the rubber someplace, before installation (if so, where?), so I'm installing one end until I get to the other end?

2) Are there many bezels/clips holding each door gasket in place?

3) Will I need a hair-dryer to remove the old glued-on weatherstrips, or is there so little glue to remove from when the factory installed them?

4) Alcohol to remove the old glue? (Would red ethanol be okay, too, or is that harmful to the paint?)

5) Would you recommend the 3M glue for the new strips installation?

6) Would you also recommend a tube to remove "mistakes" in terms of overspread?

7) How much glue should I spread over each part of a weatherstrip? (A thin line of continuous glue in the centre of the strip, or are we talking a small blob on each part of the strip, with space between each blob, for ex. 10 cm. space?)

8) Will outdoor installation, where it's 16 celsius (around 60 F) these days, be okay for the install and an effective glue-drying process?

Will appreciate your replies, as always, good folks...

Cheers,
RS :bowdown:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Can anybody give guidance on the above? I notice it's been quiet here as of late, so hoping more members login soon and respond!

//RS :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts