Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual states that there are entry lights on the doors. I do not have these. Does anyone? Also part of the Premium package talks about "Ambient lighting of console and foot wells". Does anyone know how to activate this?
I am new to this board. Got my SLK350 two weeks ago.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Welcome fellow Chicagoan. The door lights are on the underside of the doors to light up the ground next to the car when you open the door.

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
If you have the premium package, then you have these lights. I was very disappointed in the ambient lighting. It is really dim. Put your lights on and if you look on the bottom of the rear view mirror, you will see a little orange dot. That's the console lighting. If you put your finger over it, you can see it doesn't do much at all. The footwells are lit, but also very dim. Put your feet in the footwell and you'll see a faint glow on your feet. The doors have lights on the bottom, if you open the door, you'll see the light on the ground. These are the brightest. Overall, I expected a lot more from the ambitent lighting. I have a BMW 5 and the cabin ambient lights are similar, but there are two of them and they're a lot brighter and actually add a nice nighttime glow.

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
As well as the lights underneath the doors, there are [very dim] lights that light up your shin / foot area, and some that come from the rear view mirror, but it is so easy to miss this them. You have to be in near blackness to see it. From memory, all settings [including setting the front and rear fog lights to light the area around the car] are done via the steering wheel buttons, I think.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Hi mr snowball -welcome to the forum. There's a discrepency between the US & the UK lighting. Ambient Lighting seems to be an option in the States - on UK 350's it seems to be standard - when I hit my key remote, lights come on all over the place - front fog & tail lights, till I open the door, then puddle lights & footwell lights (and some under the rear view mirror)when I jump in.

'totally smashed up with lightage'

Enjoy the car - not the quirks/extras/standard bits etc!!

Cheers,

Mr Wool.[:)][:)][:)]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Yes the ambient lighting is weak sauce but I suppose that's what ambient lighting is supposed to be. As for the illuminators on the bottom of the doors, also weak sauce but effective in showing puddles of water you are about to step on.

Welcome Snowball. Congrats on your new SLK. Yet another Chicago person pops in... another good reason to have a local gathering/drive as soon as spring weather first shows up.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Woolly - 2/28/2005 12:49 PM

Hi mr snowball -welcome to the forum. There's a discrepency between the US & the UK lighting. Ambient Lighting seems to be an option in the States - on UK 350's it seems to be standard - when I hit my key remote, lights come on all over the place - front fog & tail lights, till I open the door, then puddle lights & footwell lights (and some under the rear view mirror)when I jump in.

Cheers,

Love your avatar. Is Wool actually your surname?

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
malibuite - 2/27/2005 9:10 PM

Cheers,

I wish - my surname is a corruption of an old South African - Argentinian (old colonial) derivation of a very old Welsh(not even Yorkshire) surname - as for the handle & the avatar - everyones got to have a hobby, and in our part of the world you can't get touched for it[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Woolly - 2/28/2005 1:43 PM

malibuite - 2/27/2005 9:10 PM

Cheers,

I wish - my surname is a corruption of an old South African - Argentinian (old colonial) derivation of a very old Welsh(not even Yorkshire) surname - as for the handle & the avatar - everyones got to have a hobby, and in our part of the world you can't get touched for it[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]
[:0][:I][:I][:D][8D][;)][:I][:0]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Hi again, Malibuite,

I'm sure you must have a secret smiley language, which over the month's I still cannot suss

[:)][:(][?][8][8)][:D][V][B)][:0][8D][^][:eek:)][:(!] [:I][:X][;)][:(!][:p][|)][}:)][xx(]

!!! ???

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Woolly - 2/28/2005 2:32 PM

p.s your avatar looks like Brighton Pier whilst it woz burning down [:0]
Actually it is Malibu Pier which was in a state of decay for many years from weather and fire but it just was reopened this past summer. It now hosts the Malibu Film Festival and is really a lovely old design reminiscent of the 30s and 40s.

The photo was made at sunrise. Even though we are on the West Coast, Malibu actually faces south because of the curve of the coast so we get a bit of sunrise and of course sunset over the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts