Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Merc E320 1995, BMW 740i 1995 (sold)
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a new proud owner of a 1995 E320 with 100,000 miles. I was wondering if someone can point out why the doors on my car close with a sharp thud. It sounds like it crashes against the frame. I know the check strap is not good which I will be replacing soon. Should I look into the door rubber seals or apply silicone to the original rubber.
thanks.
Girrard

·
Registered
1995 E320
119 Posts
Hi Girrard,
I've got the same car but my doors have that satisfying thunk sound that comes with the double seals on the doors. I treat my seals at least 3 times a year with silicone to keep them supple. They should look "puffed up" rather than flat. Also check the lower door seals in the rocker panels. They should be clean and supple. Otherwise, it's probably a good idea to replace them, quite a simple job. The other thing you may wish to look at is a door adjustment if it's only one door that's the problem. Bob

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Is the latch/hook on these adjustable like the 123?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,893 Posts
The sharp thud (almost metal tin like) can also be caused by a loose nut holding the wood insert to the door panel, a somewhat common issue with the W124, especially on the drivers door.

Simple 1 time fix. just remove door panel, apply blue loctite sparingly to stud and tighten nut snugly. Do not overtighten as this can damage the wood panel.

·
Registered
Merc E320 1995, BMW 740i 1995 (sold)
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I will take a look at the rubber seals and apply silicone as needed. The loose nut on the driver's door also looks to be an issue too. A nice little project for the weekend!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts