Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hah, I was gonna suggest my Ford pickup has a nice chime-chime-chime sound similar to the Volvo, but I grabbed the wiring diagram, and its integrated into the intrument panel computer, not a separate module, ah well. I figured a Ford part would be cheaper than the Volvo part I posted earlier.

ooof, looks like the Mercedes chime, at least on the 93+ cars, has 3 seperate inputs for the 3 sources of the buzz, seat belt, key-in-lock, and headlights+door open.

seatbelt:
http://freescruz.com/.priv/W124/w124CD1/Program/ETM/2491600.pdf

lighting circuit (sedan)
http://freescruz.com/.priv/W124/w124CD1/Program/ETM/24821700.pdf
(look at whats connected to N2/4)

and instrument panel (incudign ignition switch)
http://freescruz.com/.priv/W124/w124CD1/Program/ETM/24543001.pdf

so its not /just/ a buzzer, but also a "OR" logic block (buzz if any of the three inputs is triggered...), AND it includes the timeout on the seatbelt input, but not on the door open + headlight or ignition key inputs.

probably the best way to do this would be to open up that N2/4 buzzer module, find the actual buzzer inside it, which takes 12V, slice it out of the circuit, and connect wires to your 'chime' or whatever circuit.
back to this becuase one of my instrument cluster lights went out and I can't see half of it, so I want to do this and the buzzer,
So I know the procedure for doing it, but the hard part is finding a chime to replace it with, so do I just find a chime relay open it up take the speaker out of it and wire it to the N2/4 buzzer module and put it back?

has ANYONE done this???

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
988 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For what it's worth, this is how I disabled the seat belt and key-in the lock buzzers but left the headlight buzzer functional: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/354158-killed-buzzer-today.html It makes day to day life with the car much more pleasant.

Thank you but I want to Completely change it not disable it, but thanks again this will be useful for people who want to remove it for the seatbelt but keep it on for the other functions.

95’ E320 Sedan

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OK, I finally modified my buzzer and I am extremely pleased
Here is a video of the before and after:
Thank you all for your help, I used the programmable buzzer: pui api-4260-lw150-r

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,854 Posts
Just out of curiosity, based on your other threads, why are you trying to turn a 25+ year old car into a modern day electronic toy a.k.a. sh!tbox?

I hate the buzzer feature, whether it be old car new car or anything in between, but it doesn't bother me since I'm already belted in and have the door closed before turning the key. In other words, no buzzer noise to spoil the mood

Just sayin'

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just out of curiosity, based on your other threads, why are you trying to turn a 25+ year old car into a modern day electronic toy a.k.a. sh!tbox?

I hate the buzzer feature, whether it be old car new car or anything in between, but it doesn't bother me since I'm already belted in and have the door closed before turning the key. In other words, no buzzer noise to spoil the mood

Just sayin'
Well, I simply have repeated that I can't afford a new car, my current car is in pretty good condition with a little more than a 100,000 miles. I could get a used car or a shitty lease, but I want something I can modify. Used cars are extremely risky sometimes. Now I know so much about my car, I don't want anything else. All I'm doing is slightly modifying it. If i want to start the car without the seat belt on, which i usually do, I want a pleasant chime not an annoying BUZZ. Me adding a sub woofer, better speakers, and an apply car play mod isn't making it a shit box it is making it more convenient. I love the car and knowing it is custom and it isn't like every other completely stock w124 is very satisfying. We live in 2019 now, not 1995 if I want updated tech, not worn out stuff from 25 years ago, I will replace it. W124s are over-engineered, but it is my daily driver for school and work and other stuff, so I will modify it to my liking. I will keep doing shit to it, till I can't, just cause i'm a car enthusiast.

·
Registered
16,854 Posts
You'd enjoy the car even more if it didn't have the US mandated buzzer feature. As with everything else in life, things always get f'd up when DC gets involved.

At least your "new" buzzer doesn't sound like a penny slot machine like just about every other modern car sh!tbox out there.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You'd enjoy the car even more if it didn't have the US mandated buzzer feature. As with everything else in life, things always get f'd up when DC gets involved.

At least your "new" buzzer doesn't sound like a penny slot machine like just about every other modern car sh!tbox out there.
Everyone has their own opinions, I was born into this so called "modern shitbox era". My dream cars are mostly Mercedes, they have new features that prevent deaths like lane assist, collision assist, thousands of new safety features that are mandated just like abs, airbags, and seatbelts were... I don't know why you are so against new modern cars, If i could get an A45 amg or an e63 amg, I would. Technology is how humans evolve, I know some are not even nearly as reliable but with more stuff comes more issues, obviously.

·
Registered
16,854 Posts
A $2 buzzer isn't a safety feature. MB never put this BS crap on their cars that were sold outside North America.

Unless one is deaf and blind, it is pretty evident when you left a door open or when you're not belted. Besides, the deaf and blind don't drive.

I am against modern cars, especially European cars, because they are bloated overpriced pieces of dogsh!t that force you to be a slave to the dealer and all the electronic stuff will break without exception forcing these modern sh!tboxes to be sent to the dump after a dozen years when they reach "hopelessly broken and unfixable" status.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,244 Posts
Awesome, I love it and I am planning to change mine, too. I have the programmable speaker already, but still need to figure out how to program it and what I want to put on it. Then, figure out how to hook it all up. I will have to read more here, but did you take any helpful notes or pics for connecting to the factory buzzer unit?

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Awesome, I love it and I am planning to change mine, too. I have the programmable speaker already, but still need to figure out how to program it and what I want to put on it. Then, figure out how to hook it all up. I will have to read more here, but did you take any helpful notes or pics for connecting to the factory buzzer unit?
Here is a link to all of the pictures I took, these may help a little: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mgsjJuvlYsloGu_m1RmQl0xyk9IMM0X7W0_53QVQmeI/edit?usp=sharing
You might need some soldering skills, ask me any questions if the pics don't do enough justice.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
A $2 buzzer isn't a safety feature. MB never put this BS crap on their cars that were sold outside North America.

Unless one is deaf and blind, it is pretty evident when you left a door open or when you're not belted. Besides, the deaf and blind don't drive.

I am against modern cars, especially European cars, because they are bloated overpriced pieces of dogsh!t that force you to be a slave to the dealer and all the electronic stuff will break without exception forcing these modern sh!tboxes to be sent to the dump after a dozen years when they reach "hopelessly broken and unfixable" status.
I am not tried to be cocky but the genuine mb buzzer is like $100 new and the one i bought I could find for $26 cheapest. And i guess I can see where your coming from, I know cars with new electronics are tuned so you have to get them serviced. I think this buzzer mod was worth it as now the ding is so much more pleasant and I changed out the burnt out bulbs in my cluster with leds that won't melt the prism reflector things in the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wow, yes, very helpful. I can probably do the soldering, but looks like you made the solder connections at the back side of the board. How come not the front side? Thanks!
because i routed the wires threw the hole the old speaker you to play through, I didn't want to put any stress on the solder connections so it lasts forever.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts