Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the w124 with the famous BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP chime noise. Sounds like an oversized mosquito. I really want a new one, like the new 2018 G M chime sounds awesome. This one imo sounds like a great chime:
Or something like it. I just want to know the easiest way to replace the buzzer to any other noise possible. Also, mine is starting to die anyway. Is there any way to do it without trying to get that module out behind the instrument cluster, thank you.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,638 Posts
Why not buckle up etc before you start the car..no chimes/buzz that way?

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx for that so the e320 1995s buzzer relay is behind the instrument cluster right?

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really want to do it, but the programmable buzzer is NOT for sale anywhere: API-4260-LW150-R .
I can't find it, so I can't do this mod.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,854 Posts
What about just changing your habits very slightly? In other words, close the door and buckle up before turning the key.

Ditto on removing the key before getting out of the car.

Easiest "upgrade" of all and it costs zilch. Don't even need to break out a screwdriver.

If that can't be done, just unplug it and live without it. You're not missing out on anything.

Just be happy you don't have a newer car that simulates a inbound North Korean missile alert as soon as you take off before buckling up. So annoying.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,854 Posts
...Just because Mercedes signed it that way over 20 years ago...
Newsflash. MB didn't design the buzzer into any of their cars by default.

The buzzer is a requirement by the Feds on all USA spec vehicles regardless of make or origin.

MB sold all their cars outside the USA without that irritating piece of crap, and the cars were all better for it.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,776 Posts
^ Thx I would kindly ask you guys to just not say anything if it's not going to help, it makes the forum pointless cause it just shows a person who is looking for help on this topic that they should just give up cause people think there are ways to get around it. I am not doing this cause I HAVE to I WANT to. I have done many mods people would disagree with because I want my car to be different. I have installed a self-locking,unlocking-Push to start I will upload a demonstration video soon maybe. Now I want something to go with it like a nice chime, not a dying insect.
Agreed!

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ps: Some of you might say I'm ruining the originality, but this car is NEVER going to be SOLD, I will DRIVE the thing till it can't, and when that happens I have more plans for it:D

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,087 Posts
Newsflash. MB didn't design the buzzer into any of their cars by default.

The buzzer is a requirement by the Feds on all USA spec vehicles regardless of make or origin.

MB sold all their cars outside the USA without that irritating piece of crap, and the cars were all better for it.
Exactly why it's so easy to disable independent of the SRS. The buzzer comes on for 5 sec after the car starts. If you haven't put your seatbelt on by then, then there is no further reminder like newer cars that beep periodically and have a light on the dash.

Disable the damn thing.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the millionth time, I'm not trying to disable it, I'm trying to change it if I wanted to get rid of it, I wouldn't be on this forum. You're wasting your and my time, cause I'm changing it anyway, there are like probably many people who have done this mod already. Let's say I'm just in my car and I start it to get the AC in, I don't want to wear my damn seatbelt cause that's stupid and then BEEEEEEPEPEPPEPEp for 5 secs every time. I just want to change it, I'm not trying to get read of it. I don't have a key left in ignition cause I have a push to start, I CUT IT OUT!

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,087 Posts
Kid, I sent you multiple links how to change the damn buzzer to something else. If the one part isn't available find an alternative. Speaking of wasting god damn time....

You're making an excellent case for why it should be disabled. Disabling the seatbelt buzzer doesn't disable the light on or key in warnings. I didn't recommend putting in a constant reminder, tfoh.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,776 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've seen this many times and it kinda inspired me, also I think he made his out of the same speaker that plays 30 second sound files.

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,119 Posts
I disabled that annoying loud buzzer, it seemed to stay on for more than 5 seconds, got old or something? good part I don't have to hear it! bad part? it also warns you your lights are on when you leave car, once ran the battery flat! left lights on, now there's a sticker next to ignition switch " turn off lights!".
I would like to enable it again, are those plug in modules still available?
Part number?

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,752 Posts
hah, I was gonna suggest my Ford pickup has a nice chime-chime-chime sound similar to the Volvo, but I grabbed the wiring diagram, and its integrated into the intrument panel computer, not a separate module, ah well. I figured a Ford part would be cheaper than the Volvo part I posted earlier.

ooof, looks like the Mercedes chime, at least on the 93+ cars, has 3 seperate inputs for the 3 sources of the buzz, seat belt, key-in-lock, and headlights+door open.

seatbelt:
http://freescruz.com/.priv/W124/w124CD1/Program/ETM/2491600.pdf

lighting circuit (sedan)
http://freescruz.com/.priv/W124/w124CD1/Program/ETM/24821700.pdf
(look at whats connected to N2/4)

and instrument panel (incudign ignition switch)
http://freescruz.com/.priv/W124/w124CD1/Program/ETM/24543001.pdf

so its not /just/ a buzzer, but also a "OR" logic block (buzz if any of the three inputs is triggered...), AND it includes the timeout on the seatbelt input, but not on the door open + headlight or ignition key inputs.

probably the best way to do this would be to open up that N2/4 buzzer module, find the actual buzzer inside it, which takes 12V, slice it out of the circuit, and connect wires to your 'chime' or whatever circuit.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts