Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 1986 560SL I am restoring. It has 27k miles so I assume it is mostly original (though it has been repainted). I noticed black plastic/chrome door trim has a "stippled" / bumpy texture while the corresponding fender portions are smooth and soft. Is that normal? Does somebody mind going to check?

Thanks,
Cyrus

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize it's not a great picture... sorry.

The fender portions (all 4) are smooth and shiny. The door portions (both sides) are textured.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
It's the way the sun hit that area.

·
Registered
w108 & w107
146 Posts
My '82 500SL is smooth everywhere except the doors where they are rougher - I know what you mean - there's no way to make them have the same finished look. I'll see if I can get a picture of mine

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,877 Posts
The rubbers in my 1979 were the same - the door trim was textured compared to fender trims, I assumed that was just different material to soften door bumping against objects.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My '82 500SL is smooth everywhere except the doors where they are rougher - I know what you mean - there's no way to make them have the same finished look. I'll see if I can get a picture of mine
Glad to hear I'm not the only one!! Here is a better photo that captures the issue. They really do seem like entirely different rubbers.

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
522 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one!! Here is a better photo that captures the issue. They really do seem like entirely different rubbers.
So my old 1987 560sl has this phenomena on all of the rubber all the way around. Even the bumper guards and rubber bumper blinds. The exception is the rubber strips on the bumpers. I have tried a sample fix, but it is a little early to know if it works long term. I took some 400 grit sand paper and lightly sanded down a couple of areas and then applied "Back to Black" polish on it. Those areas now look and feel very much the same as the bumper strips. If the polish doesn't work long term I was thinking that it might need some type of sealer on it after the sanding? My car has obviously spent a lot of time outside in the sun.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,533 Posts
Maybe apply Wurth's rubber Care? It's a liquid that goes on shiny black but stays satin. I put it on all my rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 300SL
86 Posts
Mine are all lightly textured. Top part is right hand door, bottom is front fender. Perhaps they differ between genuine and after market? No idea if mine have ever been replaced, it's possible though, sometime in the past this R107 was resprayed white, from the original black!

·
Registered
w108 & w107
146 Posts
Mine look very much the same like in Matthew'z pic.
I'm sure they're in better condition...
They do seem harder, or maybe the type of rubber went brittle over time, but your theory of the door ones being more robust for likely impact damage is making sense to me

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
They're not really Matthew, after 40+ years time took its toll - I actually got a set of new ones to put back on the car once's she's resprayed. The new ones for the door are very much like the rubber on the bumpers, just firmer, and the ones for the fenders are ever so slightly textured.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting that we all have different findings. Perhaps quality control on these mouldings was not as tight as we'd like. I appreciate all the input and knowing that I'm not the only one in this situation.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Yes, and I'm pretty sure that the materials evolved over the production life cycle, either on purpose or as a side effect. :D

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
522 Posts
I am more inclined to believe that there were probably two or more different suppliers of various rubber parts. Mercedes Engineers gave them specs like color, finish and durometer, but the actual rubber mixture may have been up to the supplier. You are also looking at the effects of 40 years on the parts, Mercedes never had to deal with this kind of durability. I used to work for Ford Motor - Body Engineering and they sometimes had two or more different companies making the same identical parts. There also were sometimes problems with one company's parts, but not the other. You have to remember that the auto companies are primarily engineers and assemblers. Most of the parts are sourced from a multitude of suppliers. Outside of a few big parts like engine block castings, frames, and large body stampings, Mercedes like Ford makes very few parts themselves.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts