Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent a few weeks looking into how to fix the instrument cluster when it goes wrong (you know the lights start to dim etc etc)

anyway it made the choice for me when it set itself alight last month, took me a whole month to get the tools to get it out to find umm a little bit of a hole.

So this is more a warning to everyone not to wait (i wasn't insured either)

mercedes tells me it's impossible to just "change it" for another... anyone changed it for a 2nd hand one? they want 2.5k and I just can't afford that.

Mike from New Zealand

·
Registered
1991 420sel & 1996 S320
110 Posts
I did some searching last month when my cluster went out and I am 90% sure you can plug in a used cluster. It will show whatever cluster had the higher miles/kms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh interesting!

Mercedes said it would muck up the steering column and all kinds of things.

How did you resolve your issue?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
The way that cluster failed looks just plain dangerous, and would seem to be the kind of thing MB would not want publicized. You might start up the chain of regional reps and see if they might help, on that basis.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@deucer

Yeah it was that post that made me think, pull it out and fix but now I see the hole I am 80% I can't fix it, do you think it could be recoverable?

I was thinking of bringing in one from the UK they around 250quid so $500 for me. Problem is most 2nd hand don't tell me the miles and also tell me it'll need reprogramming not just plug and play.

@skylaw
Well I thought that but MB New Zealand just said oh yes common, don't buy that car it's crap. HAHA and we want 2.5k to fix.

Just don't want spend $500-$600 on a 2nd hand part for it all not to work. Car is only worth 10k so spending 25% seems a bit extreme.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep Mercedes New Zealand just confirmed that they don't care because

a) it's an import
b) it's 12 years old

Oh and it's now $3700+fitting which they say is some hard core programming involved and will likely charge around 600. So it'll be $4'300 to get a new cluster.

I am going to risk buying a 2nd hand one and just putting it in.

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
Hard Core Programming? I'll be candid with you. I'm not a certified Mercedes mechanic but I do know a little about autos and requirements for programming and there is no hard core programming required. Basic logic suggests: New product to replace old product and restore odometer reading (probably accomplished via Star/Das). If product is Mercedes product and is built for universal usage on many models, then they may have to program for your model, but I doubt that. Hard Core programming? Based on the cost to install I would take a leap of faith and go the "second hand route". Just my 2 cents though. Perhaps Skylaw or Eric or someone else can chime in on this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Deucer

yeah I have just had the same conversation with a parts guy. They will sell me a 2nd hand one with warranty for $700 so thats cool.

Given me a number for installation as they said all that should need doing is "landing" it into the system in order to keep the miles on the car correct.

So figures crossed I can get this dnoe for $300 so I only spend 1k :)

·
Registered
1991 420sel & 1996 S320
110 Posts
ahh interesting!

Mercedes said it would muck up the steering column and all kinds of things.

How did you resolve your issue?
Mine did not have any damage so I sent it for repair here,

ModuleMaster | Services | Instrument Clusters

With shipping it was $203 with a 5 year warranty.

I would buy a used unit on Ebay and if the miles need to be corrected find someone local who can change the mileage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so I ordered yesterday and it came today, can't try it till tomorrow but the Mercedes guy (nice guy) said just plug it in and see what happens... Mercedes talking **** (although he did say the slightly newer ones 2003 onwards need to be coded.

he then said see what the miles comes up with and he'll come around and fix it

so wish me luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so I had to change the cover over the tools come out with a small wiggle but here we go via pictures

Now I have to find out what all these warnings are saying....

I have pulled the battery out to hopefully reset something.

BRAKE call service hmmm lol what the fook

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm ok I have looked all over trying to find info on the error....

it stops me from driving the car.....

hmm call service is obviously a UK thing for roadside assistance...

but brakes? I mean do I need to fix something or now it's red, does it need resetting?

I saw something about the brake something or other near the pedal that is a $10 fix... could this be it?

·
Registered
MB CL500(C215);SL55(R129), SL63(R230)
486 Posts
Hi, seems like a communication issue with the ESP.
If you are lucky its just a matter of the correct IC coding.
Which is necessary in any case to match to the rest of your car.
Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So just to let everyone know the mech came out, sortted all the errors out with a nice reset but....

the car still won't come out of park.

loads of searching later and I can not find the issue.

I took the shifter off and was manually looking at changing gear.... the shifter moves back and forth but the tranny just doesn't engage any gear!

I think it may be :surrender: for me and put it in the tip :crybaby2:

just so over it all now. bought this car and have driven it a total of 500km in 6 months with so many issues one after another.

oh mercedes came back (at last) and said that there is no recall for the cluster (done that) but there is a recall for the ABC (already fixed that)

has anyone heard of anything similar where the shifter works but the gears just don't engage?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts