Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2003 sl55amg
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I still have my SL55, but got a screaming deal on a new left over 2019 C7 Stingray. Last chance before the rear engine 2020's coming in March. These are pretty well sorted out by now, I wouldn't be surprised if the new ones have a few teething issues.

·
Registered
Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
396 Posts
Looks great, congrats. So what exactly is a "screaming deal" worth?

·
Registered
2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
450 Posts
Great car and a hell of a lot of performance for the dollar!

I spent last Saturday with my cousin in a C6 drifting the car on a track making smoke and squealing tires. His Vette has a rebuilt title and only paid $6500 for it. Drives it like he stole it and it rarely needs maintenance...only new tires every dozen laps! Wish I could do the same with an SL, but the electronic nannies will be tough to defeat and let this happen.

·
Registered
2003 SL55 AMG
28 Posts
I still have my SL55, but got a screaming deal on a new left over 2019 C7 Stingray. Last chance before the rear engine 2020's coming in March. These are pretty well sorted out by now, I wouldn't be surprised if the new ones have a few teething issues.
Love it! Always liked the look of the C7s.

I know that the SL55 is a very very different animal, but i am curious to hear your side-by-side comparison impressions once you drive the C7 for some time. I want to hear all the "pros" and "cons". Curious about power delivery, noise, ride quality, traction. :)

·
Registered
2003 sl55amg
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind comments, wasn't sure what to expect.
My screaming deal comment was probably not what others may expect, but it was about $8K off MSRP, and had the options I care about and the colors I wanted, black with red calipers, seat belts and red line z51 wheels plus NPP 2 tone exhaust. I can live with "only" 460 hp and an A8 trans. Shifts are quick or you can use the paddles.
The two cars are both two seaters with lots of HP and handling, but are quite different in every other way. The C7 is noisier, stiffer ride and harder seats and about 1000 pounds lighter, it's glued to the road in corners. Not that the SL55 doesn't corner, it's very precise and comfortable on all roads and corners like a much lighter car.
Both have removeable roofs, but the C7 has a section that you take off by hand and put in the trunk. It's carbon fiber now and quite light compared to my old C6 roof. Less to go wrong, but not as "transformer" cool as my grandkids say it.
The C7 has a warranty, the SL55 has a future of unknown costs I try not to think about.
They are both very fun cars to drive and I'm lucky to have both.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congrats from a fellow vette owner. Next time around keep this bookmark to have fun with your local dealer.

GM also has amazing EOM deals at high volume dealers. Not sure how it all works but the discount are huge.

·
Registered
sl600
93 Posts
i feel like the sl55 and a base corvette in the same class, now a c6/c7 zr1 woulda been a different story, those are savage animals.

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
672 Posts
Can the ASR be turned off temporarily in a 2004 SL600 just to let the back tires spin and produce smoke? I used to melt a lot of tires like this in the old days, and once in a while would like to "make a sataement" to some select persons...

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,941 Posts
Are the body panels still so flimsy you can push them in with your hands?

Corvettes are like all things American (including my wife): loud, brash and occasionally obnoxious, but they get the job done.

Personally, I would, if I had the money, held out for one of the new MID-engine ones, the handling is likely to be MUCH better.

·
Registered
2003 sl55amg
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here come the Corvette opinions I thought might appear, and not from owners of both cars.
1. The SL55 is nowhere near as fast and furious as a stock base C7. One ride in both would tell you that. With 1000 pounds less weight, more power and gears, it's in a whole different league.
2. The C7 is available now at good prices, the C8 isn't either. Unless you track your car and are an experienced track driver, the C7 will more than meet any handling chores you might need.
3. The SL55 is a very special car and cost a pretty penny when new, and continues to be a cut above any Chevy in materials and finish and quality. No 16 year old Corvette can say this. Even the new ones don't come close. But they are very special in different ways.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
SL55 is meant for cruising the Hollywood strip or the French Riviera, not traffic light racing (and certainly not circuit racing). You'd be making a closer comparison if you chose the Corvette and the AMG-GT or the SL55 and, oh, I don't know...that Caddy thing that looked like it was based on a Corvette they made for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here come the Corvette opinions I thought might appear, and not from owners of both cars.
1. The SL55 is nowhere near as fast and furious as a stock base C7. One ride in both would tell you that. With 1000 pounds less weight, more power and gears, it's in a whole different league.
2. The C7 is available now at good prices, the C8 isn't either. Unless you track your car and are an experienced track driver, the C7 will more than meet any handling chores you might need.
3. The SL55 is a very special car and cost a pretty penny when new, and continues to be a cut above any Chevy in materials and finish and quality. No 16 year old Corvette can say this. Even the new ones don't come close. But they are very special in different ways.
Good assessment. I own a 2005 SL and 2016 SL and a C7. I am intrigued the C8 and am considering getting one in 2020

·
Registered
2003 sl55amg
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually meant to say more power to weight ratio. The SL55 has 493 hp vs 460 hp in the C7, but is much heavier.
The C8 is going to be another very special car, but costs as much as what I paid for both my SL55 and C7 together. I doubt I would trade both for one, but time will tell.

·
Registered
2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
450 Posts
Can the ASR be turned off temporarily in a 2004 SL600 just to let the back tires spin and produce smoke?
Yes - just press the ESP button on the console.
A yellow warning triangle will tell you all bets are off and you are free to hurt yourself and your tires. I do it all the time :cool:
Don't forget to press it again to put the nannies back to work.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
If you work your way through the exhaustive menus there's also a Dyno option which turns off the ESP, ABS etc. entirely, rather than the half-way turning off that I THINK just hitting the ESP Off button achieves.

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
672 Posts
Way back in the 80s we had a car club called the Bee Street Potoholics (!!!) and we all had hot rods and burned tires like there was no tomorrow. One of the cars i had was a 1969 Chevelle Malibu that I'd bought with a 350 V8 that was blown to bits so my brother and I installed a 427 engine. burned up so many tires in that car! that was the days when teenagers could drive all over town on a friday night smoking pot (I never did that, LoL) burning rubber and parking on cliffs to view the city lights. One night I dumped the clutch and floored the gas pedal, and Boom! The car went no where. Made grinding sounds. Come to find out, the crazy thing had broken off all the studs that hold the back wheels on, the car was just sitting on the back tires. Had to have it towed home and install new studs in the rear brake drums the next day. Not looking to do that again, especially with a SL600 V12 twin turbo, but I think I will try switching off the ASR and see if I can make some smoke! Just to show off for the neighbors. If it works well I might make a video or something. One of my back tires has a gouge in the side from getting too close to the rockery at the side of the driveway so maybe this will give me a chance to melt some of the rubber and then I'll have a better excuse for getting new back tires. I think they are a 315/20ZR20 so they're not cheap. Because of the gouge in the tire, that's the reason I've kept speeds down under ~100. Maybe if I get some new back tires, I'll feel safer going faster.

·
Registered
2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
450 Posts
Haha! Great stories we all have. Don’t get me started.

FYI - you cannot ‘power brake’ this car, as it thinks you are trying to actually stop, and kills the power.
Only mashing the throttle with ESP off works. Donuts work well in this situation.
Have fun throwing away your tires!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts