Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't any of you go to car shows, just for the fun of it?
If not you should. I've gone to 4 allready this year. Allmost got a trophy at one. Missed by one vote.

If you do post some pics.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
I like going to them if they're good ones, but I've never entered a car in one. Mainly because I just don't care about standing around all day answering questions; I like to go, walk around for an hour or two, check out other people's stuff, then hop in the AMG and go home. Showing them looks like a PITA but driving them is just downright fun.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,336 Posts
I used to, when I had a showable car. Now I find them aggravating. ENVY is one of my sins.

With my limited free time, I much prefer cruising in the SL.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
I like to go and look, but even IF I had a showable car I wouldn't sit there in a lawn chair all day.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
True story:

I took the turd to a "show 'n shine" a couple of weeks back. The woman in the Corvette in the next space looked up as I backed into the spot. She said, "You're not parking that thing there, are you?"

"What's the matter, don't you like my turd?"

"No, not really..." she replied, "Anyways, I thought this whole row was reserved for Corvettes."

"I'm afraid not. Anyways, since when is a late-model stock Corvette a classic car?"

She muttered something about "well, if that's what you like..." and continued dusting. I didn't bother to tell her that using a California Car Duster on a hot hood isn't a very good idea...

The Thundering Turd:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I bougth a Mercedes for the firts time a 5 door automatic 250. 1979.
iam looking for the repair manual. my problem is that I fouind no 250 from the year 1979.
anyone can help a rookies like me.

·
29,336 Posts
Hello
I bougth a Mercedes for the firts time a 5 door automatic 250. 1979.
iam looking for the repair manual. my problem is that I fouind no 250 from the year 1979.
anyone can help a rookies like me.
Here's the first piece of advice...........start a new thread for something specific. You will get more action.

My second piece of advice would be to post in the correct forum. What the hell is a 5 door 250?

This forum is for the R107 Roadster and C107 old man Coupe.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
True story:

I took the turd to a "show 'n shine" a couple of weeks back. The woman in the Corvette in the next space looked up as I backed into the spot. She said, "You're not parking that thing there, are you?"

"What's the matter, don't you like my turd?"

"No, not really..." she replied, "Anyways, I thought this whole row was reserved for Corvettes."

"I'm afraid not. Anyways, since when is a late-model stock Corvette a classic car?"

She muttered something about "well, if that's what you like..." and continued dusting. I didn't bother to tell her that using a California Car Duster on a hot hood isn't a very good idea...

The Thundering Turd:
page62, you haven't told us lately how the ranchero project is going.
Someone around here is trying to sell a "fully restored" 63 for $9000.
You could finish and sell yours, then buy 2 107s with the proceeds.
Remember, you heard it here first.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
page62, you haven't told us lately how the ranchero project is going.
I met a guy down here who did a pseudo-rat rod '63 Ranchero. With a stock 6-banger drivetrain. He wants $12000 for it. Crazy stuff.

Anyhow, the turd runs pretty good. I can drive it pretty much anywhere without fear of needing a tow home. Steering linkage has been replaced, 3-point seatbelts installed, dual-circuit master cylinder upgrade...for safety's sake.

And I'm slowly polishing the turd, to coin a phrase. 10 years of grime and oxidation -- not to mention bondo hickeys -- make the task a challenge.

Everywhere I drive it -- with one notable exception -- I get thumbs up, waves, compliments and questions. Many people have never seen one before, and they think it's cool. It's reassuring to know there are folks as twisted as I out there.

I suffer no delusions when it comes to the value of mine. It's worth $4500-5000...with a strong tailwind! :D

·
29,336 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,193 Posts
I'm with Dugald on this one. I love to go and look, but parking in a lawn chair doesn't seem like fun to me. We have two great events here - The Woodward Dream Cruise, with usually a million people in attendance, and then in September the Frankenmuth AutoFest, which has about 3,000 cars registered. They shut down the city on Friday night and the cars are parked along about 2 miles of street with bands playing on about every corner. Then it's followed by a full day in the lakefront park covering a couple of hundred acres.

Problem is the SL is like a minister in a whore house. Just doesn't fit.

I do admire the handiwork of the builders/customizers who build some of these . They are truly labors of love. These guys are really artists.

My problem, like Nobby, is envy. I spend the next 4 days daydreaming about ways I could afford to buy one of these buggies. Then reality sets in.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,202 Posts
Car shows are like ego trips for people with more money than I have. When I decided against detailing and re-undercoating my undercarriage I think I forfeited any chance for a show car. I really like my car and if everything worked and was together and restored I'd be halfway there, especially if it had a functioning AC and headlamp washer wiper system, but the money isn't there. I'm sure my slc is a rarity stateside even verses the like of the 280sl, I've only seen maybe 5 280slc, but have seen maybe 15 or so 280sl's, who cares though. Like what POS said I'd rather go and gawk at other peoples cars and do my own trip.

You know how much the concourse'd'elegance in pebble beach costs? 350$

Like what Nobby said about envy, I think I have the same bug with a tinge of pride. I always think my car is the finest available despite its current condition. When I see a nice Sl or slc I'll think "nice but has the later model parking lamps(rectangle) aren't as good looking as the older teardrop shapped ones. Or mayber the guy has the euro headlights, but wheres the optional wiper system? Leather interior is nice, but my shredded velours are nicer. On and on my comparisons go, nice color but would look nicer in a metalic, et cetera.

I'd rather show everyone driving new cars what high performance is about, and no it doesn't happen sitting on a lawn with people gawking.

I drive a show car alright, I'll show people how to drive. Why would anyone drop 50K on a car that tops out at 155mph when you cannot drive over say 90mph without being vigorously prosecuted. I saw an audi rs6 the other day, the speedo went to 200mph meaning it probably tops around 186mph, where you gonna run or hide going that fast? I cannot even drive say past 80% of the mercedes potential.

·
Registered
73 450SL
719 Posts
My son and I have shown our 73 450SL twice now. The first time was last summer and we won second place in the antique division. We entered another 2 weeks ago and lost to a 83 380Sl. :( Not to be sour grapes, but I think our car shows better, was cleaner and completly original.

Our Sl...my son...

and me...

and one more we took at the show...

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I feel totally different. I go all the time totally in their face. Show away. $2.00 trophies they can keep them. I show for the fun and check out the other car. Shoot the shit with all the viewers. It's great but some time it does get a little hot. But it usually a fun cruz. Time out with someone and I meet great people.
Stand! And soon or later we'll great cat. for us. Like at Bear Mt. they have "classic foreign cars." Older than "88" though. No "89's" sorry:D

·
Registered
1985 380SL, 1998 230SLK
1,548 Posts
There's a restaurant about 25 minutes north of where I live that has somehow set up an informal show every Saturday during the warm weather. You can just go up there and there are vintage cars all over one side of the parking lot. There's no judging or contests, but some nice cars and people that love to talk about them. One guy had a Thunderbird (the 2nd model they had, after the "Suzanne Summers" version) who offered to sell it to me for $15,000. Someone else had a '65 1/2 (wasn't that the first model year) Mustang for $25,000 that was in almost perfect shape. Mos of the cars there are muscle cars, but there are also kit cars and other stuff there. If I drove up, parked my 107 and just sat down with a chair next to it, I'd be part of the show. It's that informal.

Pretty cool thing to have for free every week if you ask me! I get up there several times throughout the summer.

·
29,336 Posts
I had no problem sitting in a lawn chair beside my great showing Nova SS. It's not only guys who come to these things, you know.
And every car show I entered ended with a quasi police sanctioned burnout show at the end with thousands of people cheering.
It swells my heart to remember.
It also helps when you leave with a trophy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts