Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a map light out so i went to local car shop and they gave me bulb, I go to put it in and start to see smoke and smell electrical burn...i never actually got to put it in...now the lights stay on all the time...I double check the bulb they gave me and come to find out its a 14v 2w not a 12v 6w....not sure if that's why or not. I went and got correct bulb today and the map light works now but still same issue...all lights come on with door open or closed, i have to keep switch off now for light to come on when door is open.

I checked all fuses and all are good...what can I check? switch is bad?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I find it hard taking it to the dealer, I have done auto electric for years and will eventually figure out but was just hoping someone else might have had the same issue. I just got this car and plan to take care of everything myself. this is my 2nd benz and have fell in love with the cars!

Need passenger side mirror, need to take drivers side door panel off and fix door lock (not enough power for door lock to come up, locks just fine though.)

here she is

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Well I find it hard taking it to the dealer, I have done auto electric for years and will eventually figure out but was just hoping someone else might have had the same issue. I just got this car and plan to take care of everything myself. this is my 2nd benz and have fell in love with the cars!

Need passenger side mirror, need to take drivers side door panel off and fix door lock (not enough power for door lock to come up, locks just fine though.)

here she is

Its probably just the doors actuator for the lock, they are inexpensive and easy to replace..

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
As someone wise on this forum once told me when I mentioned the dealer or a shop.

"SaleenS7, Anybody can just take the car to the dealer or a shop but this is a DIY forum... You're making us look bad."

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Ok, so I get that you want to do a DIY repair. After all, it's a light bulb, right? But smoke and electrical burns are out of the realm of fun and probably you have something far worse going on.

If I were to take my car to my dealer to change a light bulb, they wouldn't even charge me. I know because I've done it before. They call it 'customer service'. But if after they installed a new light buld and there was smoke and electrical burns, they'd have the diagnostic equipment to figure out what the heck was going on!

The forum isn't just for people with wrenches in their hands, nor is it exclusively a DIY resource. Sometimes, you need to be practical. What a shame it would be to advise someone how to change their light bulb while their car burns up. That is beyond a 'Ooops!'.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
stryker is kind of onto something. they might install it for free but charge you $10 for a $2 bulb and charge $20 for labor. but if you are good with a certain dealer they give you great pricing and sometimes even free parts. for example i went in to get a quart of tranny fluid and i needed a bolt with a washer and the red clip for the cap. and they only charged me $15 and they checked the fluid amount for free. let me add the fluid itself is worth $19. i know its not a great saving but still its not like they totally rip you off.

also when you installed the bulb did you wear gloves while touching that glass of the bulb. also something like that happened to me when i mixed up the polarity. the only time smoke comes out is when the positive and negative touch each other. but take the whole assembly out and see if the wires have been damaged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts