Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 Sport
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dome light make a slight humming noise as the dome lights dim after closing the door. This does not happen while the dome lights are fully on, only when it begins to dim and stops when off. I have it shut off now and will keep it that way until I figure out if the complete dome light/sunroof switch needs to be replaced.

If someone has had a similar issue, please let me know what your resolution was. Also, if you replaced the switch, let me know where you found it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
My car is doing the same thing, but I haven't had a chance to look in to the problem.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
It happened to me a long time ago. I think I replaced the bulb and pushed the contact tab in a little to hold the bulb better. Can't recall which fixed it. I think it's the aging bulb buzzing when dimming. You could swap the passenger's and driver's bulbs to find out if they're the same.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
...you guys know there is a fan up there, too, right? Or at least you know now. ;) Pulling the bulbs is a quick and easy test: if the noise is still there, you know it's not a bulb.

Good luck.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
Human senses are lousy and other topic where member posted noise from driver door speaker only to find the source in passenger seats proves it. ;)
I would assume that OP would report the noise still present after the lights go off, but again >>> human senses are lousy.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
No argument from me there Kajtek1. Let's see how this plays out after the OP checks or replaces the bulb.

·
Registered
2008 E350 Sport
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I humbly submit my response. I should have checked the obvious issues before wasting anyone's time. It appears that the left dome light was not connecting as well as it should. Noise went away after bending the tab and reseating the bulb. Plastic was a little warped from the heat on the right side - I will keep my eye on this as I do not expect this to be normal.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
Since you already have heat damage, the issue likely will come back. I would check ebay for LED replacement. They are getting really cheap lately coming directly from China and being very energy efficient will not overheat the fixture.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I humbly submit my response. I should have checked the obvious issues before wasting anyone's time. It appears that the left dome light was not connecting as well as it should. Noise went away after bending the tab and reseating the bulb. Plastic was a little warped from the heat on the right side - I will keep my eye on this as I do not expect this to be normal. Thanks for the input.
Not a waste of time at all, everyone learns something from the other people's misfortune.

·
Registered
67 Posts
...you guys know there is a fan up there, too, right? Or at least you know now. ;) Pulling the bulbs is a quick and easy test: if the noise is still there, you know it's not a bulb.

Good luck.
My 97 E-420 has made an intermittent buzzing noise right above my head for some years! It doesn't bother me, it comes and goes and makes me feel like I'm not alone in my car and there is a beehive somewhere up in the headliner . . . But it drives my wife and my 5yr old mad! Anyway, just the other day I chased the noise and confirmed that its coming from the dome-light assembly. BUT, since the noise is there day or night, its not relevant to the light bulbs (I did check them anyway). So until I read this post I was thinking I have to take it apart and look for a condenser or a loose screw up there, but now that you mentioned the "FAN"! Bing Bing Bing, that's the correct answer to the $100,000 question, YOU WON! Really, you've put my mind to rest at least knowing what to look for next. I'm not sure why we need a fan up there, but the nature of the buzzing that comes and goes sounds exactly like you might hear on a bad computer micro-fan.

·
Registered
1997 E300D
71 Posts
My 97 E300 has been making the fan noise for the past 2 years, and yes it's very annoying.
I have not tackled it, but I do see there is some videos in the Sticky, that show how to remove that unit.
I believe this fan brings air to a sensor, so it can have data for climate control.

I am assuming that I need to buy a new fan?

Has anyone had to replace this thing?

Bill

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
Do you have bathroom fan that turns on each time you enter?
Even they have different purpose, they work on the same principals.
Bad news they don't work 100 years without shooting some lubricant on it.
If you don't find any specification on WIS, I would use graphite spray on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts