Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I may be a soon owner of a '77 416 soft top, truck is in decent shape, little rust but nothing compared to my Jeep.

I would much prefer a doka but they are not easy to find (at a reasonable price). My thought is to take this 416 and drive it for now w/ plans to shorten the bed and install a doka cab later.

Does anyone sell doka cabs? I have heard a lot of talk regarding FRP cabs but is anyone producing them?

Thoughts or opinions?

-Brandon

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,265 Posts
Brandon,

Few things.

First, welcome!

Second, search will be your friend. There is a topic started just yesterday on this very same topic, still on the first page:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/1558777-416-doka.html

In which this cab is mentioned: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/1516514-doka-cab-sale-406-416-a.html

Also there is (was) a fiberglass repo cab being produced in another country (make sure to update your profile to state where your at, could be in your country!) I think it was africa or some such?

VON and I think Jason Couch on this forum were talking about the feasability of having Fiberglass cabs made, but I think that the time/investment was to much, expessially in this market.

-Trev

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,823 Posts
The FRP doka cab concept seems to be stillborn. Costs to lay up quality tooling and molds are not justifiable in terms of cost to market. No one wants to lay out that kind of money to sell perhaps two a year. For all the talk about how cool a doka is, the back handed compliment is those who are trying to sell them can't and those who want to buy them can't; the rarity makes them expensive, the cost makes them a very cold market item.

As for butchering single cabs to make dokas, the world is your oyster. So people have no problem with it, other cry about chopping up good cabs. To each his own.

There are two companies making repo cabs, one in south africa and one in argentina. Neither are cheap by any means but quality never is so to say.

The big issue with making spares out of FRP, 'glass or other fibers and even sheet metals is unless you are going to bang off a lot of them, the cost required to acquire and dissect and good source cab and then make molds, then R&D the molds to ensure they work right, then build a cab from the molds and compare to the factory unit... the man hours alone are expensive, never mind the materials and somewhat steep learning curve for making production pieces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies, I just now located the search tab. I guess I have a lot of reading ahead. I was hoping to find a thread named 'Doka cabs for sale-cheap' but that is not the case.

I searched the sale area and there do not seem to be any loose cabs for sale.

I can certainly understand the cost associated with producing a multiple part mold, I manage a small boat construction shop. I guess I will jump on board with one of the other thread.

-Brandon

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Thank you for the replies, I just now located the search tab. ...
Also look at the top ... sticky threads.... of the forum. One is the ULTIMATE STICKY. That sticky has a menu(s) of sorts to good threads on often discussed topics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts