Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need GPS/Navigation for an upcoming trip. So I began researching purchasing a Garmin with Bluetooth. I have wanted Bluetooth for a long time, so I’m thinking great, I’ll get the Garmin Nuvi 265WT for $200. For some reason, it just didn’t sit well with me. I will be using the Bluetooth phone almost daily, and I don’t want an external GPS mounted on the dash.

So them I started reading DarkHolo’s thread ( here ) about how much he likes his single din flip out unit that he bought from China at a great price. So I decide to go this route instead.

Then I figure, what the heck, why not just do a double dash conversion. The only cost difference will be a the price of the trim piece and the $50 double din cage. (So I hope.)

So I’m doing it. I bought a cheap double din head unit from the same place Darkholo did. I pick this one here for $329. It has gps, Bluetooth, steering wheel control, ipod control etc… Shipping was $51.

I hope this goes well. Here’s the total costs so far:

7” head unit: $329, GPS Map: $13, Shipping: $51 -- total: $394
2 DIN cage from dealer (210 689 09 16): $51
Wire harness (120701784) and Antenna conversion kit (12040VW12) : $24 from Crutchfield
Double Din Trim Piece (210 680 23 36 5400) : $75 from junk yard.
May need to buy a single attenuator: $25

I will try to sell my old radio/cd changer and trim piece to recoup some of the costs.

If all goes well, I will install next week. Hope this is all I need and it works!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really cool item! I got checking the web page, features listed there are really what I want, especially the iPod control, this can't make my control be more flexible! The price is reasonable, I will check it out. Good luck to you and me...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will take some pictures and update the thread. At the moment everything is on order and being shipped. This is giving me time to prep for the install. Best Buy will do it for $100. It will be funner to do it myself after work.

I am still researching how the electrical connections will be assembled. Embarrassingly I have to say that I don’t even know the model number of the stock radio or what’s behind it. It does have the Bose sound system with the amp and a trunk mount CD changer (which has never worked).

Main thing that puzzles me is if the car’s wiring harness has an ISO connector and if it’s just a matter of connecting it to the new head unit’s ISO connector. If that’s the case then the wire harness from Crutchfield should not be needed.

Also I read somewhere that the Bose amp just needs a left and right speaker input and it will feed the 6 speakers. If that’s the case then that would explain why the stock head unit does not have a fader control.

And then there’s the steering wheel control. Will I need an adaptor or anything? And will it work? Wish I could get my hands the head unit’s manual. I emailed customer service and they said the pdf is too big to email.

The unit should be arrive soon. Right now DHL says it's in Hong Kong. This is the 2nd day since ordering.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can ask the Best buy guys to confirm all this, but you will need a "VW" wiring adapter that the stock wiring plugs will plug into. A antenna adapter to go from euro to aftermarket or something like that. You may also need a "low level line converter" to make the bose amp happy too. As for steering wheel controls I believe you will need an adapter for that too.

if you go to crutchfiled and enter your car and select aftermarket headunit it will show you all the adapters you need.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Something you might also consider is the advent of Red Light Cameras, and Speed Cameras. There are companies who update the GPS on their locations. Gets you there and avoids tickets at the same time.
I believe Garmin has this, but not sure.

Aardvark

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They do ship very fast. DHL is the best. They got the unit from China to the States in 3 days. If I was in a DHL service area I would have already had the unit. Because I’m not they gave it to USPS to bring it from OH to FL. So I’m expecting it to come Mon or Tues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up the double din cage from the dealer yesterday. Will post pictures soon.

So this morning I decided to see what it’s going to take to install it. So I removed the lower center console, radio and a/c heater control.

The old single din cage is buried behind a bunch the molding. I’m not sure what to do next. Wondering if I need to remove the instrument cluster and glove box. After looking at it, I’m starting to consider letting Best Buy install it for $100.

I’m not sure how the wood trim around the heater and switches comes off. I guess it just pulls off?

I’ll mess around with it this afternoon more.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
You lose the

steering wheel controls.And best buy is not going to start hacking away at your dash for $100.They most likely will send you down the road with the typical sorry we can't do those kinds of things here(understood to mean they have no friggin idea of what to do):D
Where did you come up with the dd wood?
I had it sourced but no longer have them available,so have resorted to making a mold and carbon fiber overlay.
:bowdown:
you going to have TV and a back up camera linked to the new system?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got single din cage out and double din cage is setting generally in the correct area waiting to be screwed into place.

There are two screws that hold the wood trim in place. After removing them and dealing with the switches, the wood trim will come right off. Then the screws holding the din cage become visible.

It was tricky. I removed the ac/heading duct works from the firewall to give more room to jiggle the cage around. Also removed the long wooden trim piece and the pulled out the center ac/vent. Then I removed the glove box and sudden the dash becomes like jello and it din cage will squeeze out nicely.

Now I’m taking a break and then I’ll reassemble. The new double din is a perfect fit. I do have a lot of pictures. If all goes well putting everything back together I’ll be posting them tonight. I have to get the car functioning again so I can drive to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here’s the write up

The double din install went pertty well. It's not too hard to do.

I made a word doc that was too large to upload. Greg is making it smaller and will post it in just a bit...see below.

Here is an image with the double din setting in place. Check out the word doc for my full write up.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Hey, bmc. It's too late tonight, but I'll convert it to a PDF so it can be posted on the site, that usually shrinks them a LOT.

Nice job, by the way, you really tore into it.

Where are you sourcing the trim and how much is it if you don't mine my asking?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found a double din trim at a junk yard. The junk yard said I have the trim piece on Tuesday if no one buys the whole car. He agreed to sell it for $75.

The junk yard will sell the Command unit and trim for $400. I was tempted to buy both. Since I already bought a head unit from China, I’m going to pass on the Command unit. I don’t want to give the name of the junk yard until I know for sure that he’s selling it to me….sorry. The yard only has one right now.

Steve from MBenzNL - Home will sell a new trim piece for $330 shipped. The dealer will also sell it for $350. The part number is A210 680 23 36 -- 5400. The 5400 is code for all button punched out. I think Mercedes only sells the 5400 now. So you’ll have to get a fake button or button cover to fill the empty whole. Steve and the dealer has this part too. My fall back plan is to buy from Steve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've sent my bill for this item, it supports Super Bass output 5.1 Mode, this is especially what I want for my installer as checked with the auto fixer. The soud effects seem to be excellent as well as the ipod control which is my favourite! Checked DHL that it's in HK now, so I can except it to be arriving the day after tomorrow? I really can't help to wait...
http://www.autodvdgps.com/bmz_cache/1/17965d5009741b84b227921f8c0a8a39.image.360x360.jpg
This looks like a nice unit. I like the 800 x 480 display. It has the same steering wheel control as the one I ordered. If you get the steering wheel control working, please let us how.

Mine will arrive today or tomorrow too.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Here's the PDF of bmcgin's process.

I sense a sticky link in your future, dood; it's as close as you get to immorality on BenzWorld. ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
19 Participants
Rocknme
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing