Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320 V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i was just curious as i am gonna start doing my own oil changes, what oil do you guys use and oil filter, i know that they put synthetic at the dealership, i was thinking maybe mobil 1 and oil ilter also. I saw in the manual that the ml320 takes 8.5 quarts, i was shocked thats a lot!!
Any tips you can provide will be helpful.

thanx all.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Always use Mobil 1 0W-40 ... it's what is reccomended. And I always use the Mercedes Oil filter. It costs me about $60 total and usually saves me $45 every oil change since it costs $105 for my oil change at the dealership.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
You won't be saving much money over the cost of the recommended oil and filter. My dealer charges a reasonable $90 for an oil change, so I would save only about $30 and have a filthy mess afterwards.

DelJ

fowshow - 5/3/2005 7:29 AM

hi all i was just curious as i am gonna start doing my own oil changes, what oil do you guys use and oil filter, i know that they put synthetic at the dealership, i was thinking maybe mobil 1 and oil ilter also. I saw in the manual that the ml320 takes 8.5 quarts, i was shocked thats a lot!!
Any tips you can provide will be helpful.

thanx all.

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,143 Posts
I have changed my own oil ever since I bought my ML430. I always change my own oil in all vehicles I own because a lady aquaintance of ours took her Buick LaSabre to a local oil joint and they didn't tighten her filter enough. 1 hour later and a blown engine was a lesson for her and me.

I use Mobil 1 just like MLOffRoad does but I chose 10W-30 on the advice of my mechanic. I change every 5000 miles and I use
Purolator Filter # L25276 ( I think the ML320 uses the same one).

I just don't think there is any better security than knowing you done it right yourself (my dealer is 55 miles away & it's just not convenient to use them). It is quite messy!

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
Kinda Doing my own Oil Change!

I just take 2 jugs of Mobil 1 and the OEM MB filter to my local oil change place. They charge me $20, drain and dispose of the used oil properly (gotta recycle!) and check a ton of stuff while they have it over the service pit.

I get a somewhat independent assessment of oil seals, etc from the mechanics (since they would just send me to the dealer for repair anyway) plus they check and top off all the other misc fluids under the hood!

Plus I get the written check list of "to do's", and a nice coffee in their clean waiting room. I've changed oil for years on all sorts of cars and disposing of the used engine oil is a real problem - this way it's solved!

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
FYI USA: Approved Engine Oils for the Latest Engines

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html [;)]

·
Registered
1999 ML430
9 Posts
The filter is a snap! Remove what looks like a "plastic" oil filter on top of the engine by unscrewing counter clockwise. Replace filter cartridge and "O" rings.

As for synthetic oil brand, royal purple or mobil are good (just avoid a synthetic "blend")

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
cmitchprint - 5/3/2005 10:47 PM

I just don't think there is any better security than knowing you done it right yourself (my dealer is 55 miles away & it's just not convenient to use them). It is quite messy!
Yea, I actually enjoy changing the oil on my ML.
I use the suction pump device to extract oil through the dipstick hole.

The used oil collects in the suction reservoir and I drain it at the local Autozone recycling facility for free.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
roadsession - 5/4/2005 11:33 PM

cmitchprint - 5/3/2005 10:47 PM

Yea, I actually enjoy changing the oil on my ML.
I use the suction pump device to extract oil through the dipstick hole.

The used oil collects in the suction reservoir and I drain it at the local Autozone recycling facility for free.
Do you have a link to the device you use .. it would help with keeping my garage clean. LOL

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
MLOffroad - this is the pump you want to get. http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-7300.html

this is the 8.8L model - works really well - they also have other models that are manually pump operated - this is the 8.8L model I use

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-7201.html

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
jangr320 - 5/5/2005 10:30 AM

MLOffroad - this is the pump you want to get. http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-7300.html

this is the 8.8L model - works really well - they also have other models that are manually pump operated - this is the 8.8L model I use

So I can just pump the 7201 with my hand to create the suction effect ?? And the 7300 is activated by an air supply in shop ?? Thxs for the info !!

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
How much money does this really save someone? I have been thinking about doing this too. But if it does not save me any money then why do it... Let me know what you guys think that have been doing it.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
jangr320 - 5/5/2005 7:30 AM

I have that--the manual version. Works well.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
ttaleric - 5/5/2005 10:58 AM

How much money does this really save someone? I have been thinking about doing this too. But if it does not save me any money then why do it... Let me know what you guys think that have been doing it.
Saves me $45 each time I change the oil and it saves me the trip and wait at the dealership. So since I change my oil about once every three months you figure I save about $180 a year.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
ttaleric - 5/5/2005 11:13 AM

Awesome.. How hard is it?
Not hard at all ... very simple. Just drain the old oil, change the filter and replace it with the new oil and you're set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you do decide to do the oil change please be aware that the oil drain plug (at least on my ML430) points sideways, not straight down. If you remove the threaded bolt and do not put a piece of cardboard/something in front of it, it WILL shoot a stream of hot oil all the way over to the inside of the right front wheel/tire and make a huge mess.
Don't ask me how I know that :(!

·
Registered
2002 ML320 V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Let me get this straight, on the ml 320 2002 , do I have to suck the oil out of the engine, or is there a drain plug, like the one on the side?
I don't see a dipstick, how do you know when you have added enough oil? Where do you guys get the oil seals for the filter element plastic piece, dealership?
And i saw in the manual it said that these trucks take 8.5 quarts, is this true?

always used to changing oil thru drain plug and removable filter!! This benz is a first for me.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,579 Posts
This is such an easy procedure. If you like tinkering with cars and want to learn some basic maintenance this is a good place to start.

Pick up 9 quarts of Mobil 1 10W40, a replacement filter, a roll of shop towels and a few tools and you're ready to go. Oil removal via suction is definately the way to go, super easy, no mess and foolproof. While your under the hood check out other fluids, the harmonic balancer, belts and examine your air filter.

As complicated as todays modern engines are, the ML 6 and 8 cylinders are actually pretty easy to work on. You can do plugs and antifreeze change fairly easy. You will be way ahead of the game just by checking fluids and keeping an eye open for leaks and problems......

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
Long oil change intervals...

OK - here's something to start contraversy.... long oil change intervals with synthetics. My MB SA tells me to stick to the FSS intervals, anything sooner is just a waste of resources and $$$...

There's a few sites on the web and the Porsche guys over on Rennlist.com have real world data from test labs to back up 12,000+ mile intervals.

Here's one to get started....
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

One thing that does make sense is frequent oil top ups to replenish the additive packs (if you are burning a little oil) and frequent filter changes - and that is easy on the ML

1 - 20 of 22 Posts