·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz - C230
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys

I have a 1997 C230

now my questions are as follows

1) - what would make our car (dog track) while driving it down the road?

2) - what would u have to look for if ur car was doing this?

3) - is it simply an alignment issue for correction

when i look at my car (rear end) from a stairway persay it looks as if the rear is shifted to the right and not even with the front end of the car...:confused:

now i am in the process of changing the rims on the vehicle from the stock 15inch to AMG 17inch....17 x 8.5 et30 offset rear.....17 x 7.5 et37 offset front

i have done the rears only on the vehicle and the fronts within the week and still have the stock 15 inch rims/tires on the car...once the AMG rims are put on would it be advisable to have an alignment done on the car?? ....since i went from 15 to 17 inch rims

i had an alignment done less than 6 months ago on the car and the wheel was centered and new tierods (outer) were replaced

i saw a W202 a few weeks ago and it was cruising down the road and was dog tracking bigtime...the rear had shifted to the right on it....i drove past it and didnt see any damage on the car like if it had been wrecked...now im hoping mine isnt doing the same thing

need you input guys

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
That usually indicates an accident that has damaged the unibody/frame.

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
A good alignment guy should be able to fix this. They dogtrack when the alignment is off in the rear causing the back end to steer one way or the other. If you ever watch nascar, you can really tell on the 1.5 mile ovals where the rear is stepping out to the right; they basically are turning both rear wheels to the right to help the car around the corner.

The wheelbase should be checked. You check this by measuring the ball joint on the lower control arm to a symmetrical point forward( or rearward if checking the front) on the car. Then alignment needs to be checked, especially toe in the rear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts