Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SL60 ///AMG, 1970 280SL Pagoda
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Having experienced a pretty horrible sand storm yesterday which resulted in the inside of my 107 with my wife and i in it being sand blasted I am interested to know if other owners have soft tops that seal?

I have had my soft top replaced by a local car upholstery shop copying the original and installing for me some months ago. They moved the original seals to the new top. With the soft top up and the windows up I can squeeze my hand out above the window relatively easily. This results in quite a lot of wind noise when driving with the soft top up and of course resulted in the sand blasting to my face yesterday!

Does your soft top seal securely above the windows? Can you push your hand out? Some pics might help explain if I am missing something.

Many thanks to all who respond.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
1. As you know, there are seals above the metal frame, and I find it hard to believe that it would be possible to move them without damaging them. Also, they are made of very soft rubber and I think they deteriorate more quickly than most of the other seals.

2. The seals won't work right unless the cables that run across the top are quite tight, and this does take some adjusting. I reused my old cables and I regret this. Once they are bent, they just aren't really the same. They are not very expensive to replace, although they are not pleasant to install after the top is done - but it can be done with a stiff wire.

Your description of "tightness" sounds to me like the cables aren't tight enough.

·
Registered
1975 Mercedes 450sl & 1979 Mercedes 450sl & 1978 450SLC
419 Posts
As strife2 already said the steel wires in your cloth top are not tight enough, they run on the side right over your windows through the top and i have seen many flappy tops if not done right...
If you think your steel wires are good new and tight... try to check with the hard top on if your windows close tight.. if not you have to adjust the window hight via the adjustments inside the door frame.
Judy

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,760 Posts
Look at the top replacement thread by Nobby in the EGv107. The wires are discussed there with some pictures.

·
Registered
1994 SL500
152 Posts
You can just make out a broken wire in here causing my top to flap about. Only recently discovered as I thought it was normal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts