Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article (can't find the URL right now) on the net the other day which said that if you turn off ESP, then the E55 takes off a little bit faster. I tried this, but didn't really notice, but then again, I never really get a chance to open it up here in O.C. california! Any truth to it?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've heard that also and it makes sense since the wheels would be allowed to slip, which should result in some decreased traction but not as much as the esp would produce if there were any slippery areas, shutting down or decreasing the engine speed. I've never tried it and if done with a hand-held timer, would probably be difficult to detect a significant difference. But, I'd love to hear more about this.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Traffic Lights

On a dry day and on decent tarmac, my E55 is noticeably faster away from the lights with the ESP turned off. Hit the traction, hit the throttle, be prepared for one or two yelps from the tyres. But you clock a faster time -- if a tenth of a second is that important to you :)<br> <br> I find that ESP intervention can also be quite annoying, as it's on the abrupt side, although far less abrupt IMO than in my old M5...<br> <br> Jamie -- London, UK

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is true for all Mercedes cars with ESP. We're<br> of course talking dry asphalt, not anyting else.<br> This is due to fact that even on the slightest<br> wheel slip ESP decreases engine power thus<br> making significant delay to the acceleration.<br> Plus, there is a circuitry in the ESP that<br> prevents breaking off during gear changes<br> (all of you know that this could happen <br> especially on the wet pavement) so with the ESP<br> on, there is reduction in the engine torque during<br> upshifts (and downshifts as well).<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: does turning ESP off make E55 take off faster?

With the ESP on I ran two 0-60 times in the 4.9's and with it off I had two runs of 4.82 and 4.84. I am sure with more runs with it off my times would have dropped as the tires heated up. Even with the ESP off it is never fully defeated but there is a difference. I generally drive daily with it off unless its raining.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Traffic Lights

I find the ESP intervention on my '99 E55 extremly abrupt compared to other E and CLK class cars that I have driven but I can't measure any difference from 0-60. 5.0-5.1 on my G Tech Pro with ESP on or off.<br>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts