Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost time to swap out my OEM Dunlop SP9000's and I was wondering if I order them from TireRack would they be shipped as two lefts and two rights or is there a non-directional version of the SP9000?

Of course, before I buy I may have to take a look at some wider 18-19" rims so I can get more rubber on the road for better traction... If anyone knows of anyone who sells simple (NON-CHROME!) rims that are preferably a lighter weight than my massive AMG rims without compromising strength let me know!

·
Registered
300TD,C32AMG
45 Posts
Yes

TireRack sells directional tires.There are no "lefts" or "rights"...the tires are simply mounted so that the tire rotates in the correct direction.Just look for the arrow on the sidewall.

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...

You're right, they are only lefts and rights once they're mounted.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Yes

TireRack sells directional tires.There are no "lefts" or "rights"...the tires are simply mounted so that the tire rotates in the correct direction.Just look for the arrow on the sidewall.
Some tires come left and right. So yes, there are left and right tires... they are listed as different items on the website.

-s-

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
the Sport 9k does not come as a left and right tire ..... they are directional but not a...

the Sport 9k does not come as a left and right tire ..... they are directional but not asymetrical

use this link to order tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=CQ4&url=/tires/index.jsp

·
Registered
2012 C300
97 Posts
Re:

the Sport 9k does not come as a left and right tire ..... they are directional but not asymetrical

use this link to order tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=CQ4&url=/tires/index.jsp

can you explain asymetrical??

ps: I just got my AT Italia wheels with Yokahama AVS tires mounted from you guys yesterday and mounted them this AM - they're GREAT!!!!

the tire sidewall says 50 PSI max and that's what I put in - they came with exactly 35 PSI in each tire...

Is this the PSI I should be running???

thanks in advance...

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
35 psi is about correct but, you can go a little lower for a softer ride is you want ........

35 psi is about correct but, you can go a little lower for a softer ride is you want ..... do not go to 50psi

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check your fuel door

You'll see the recommended pressure for your car. My recommended pressure is 28, but I've been running 34 for a firmer ride.

Directional patterns usually have something that looks like this when you look at the tread ^. The V-type pattern is designed so that the point hits the ground first which means that you have to mount them carefully so that you have the left rims facing the opposite direction from the right rims.

Asymetrical tires would have a definite left and right. Not only are they directional, but they also have some sort of pattern that requires that part of the tread faces the inside. For example, something like this -^-- where the ^ part must be closest to the inside. With directional tires you can simply flip the tire over to make a "left" and a "right" rim. With asymmetric tires you can't.

Hope you understand my ramblings, otherwise I may have to pain you with some Paintbrush scribbles!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts