Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
If a Euro model it should have ave plate with the embossed VIN attached to the upper radiator support. It should also have the build plate with paint and a few other codes attached there.

If it was in this basic condition when imported the changes had already been made. The only thing I can think of now is to obtain the data card for that VIN from Mercedes. Too bad they are charging $150.00 for it now.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Must be a 1975 or earlier car with a D-jet engine and low VIN, my 1979 is 57834.
That is a 1976 Vin.

My VIN is 32728 - only 18 cars later than this! Mine was first sold in July '76 (I have all the docs), and I believe it was manufactured around around/just before May (I don't have the exact date on that, but based on a few dates I've found on components/inspection tickets I think it was around then). Mine is a K-jet.

However, everything on the advertised car (interior, motor looks older than that) - but of course someone might have fitted them (I'd like that chrome shift gate!).

One thing I have noticed - if it is a 75 or 76, which originally had the under-hood cats, then there are mounts for the under hood torque dampers welded to the inner fenders roughly in line with the pulleys/belts. Even if an earlier (or later) motor was fitted, I think it's unlikely anyone would remove those.

-Steve

·
Registered
78 Posts
Possibly some more bad news for Bryan. We were discussing the the car in a Facebook Pre-Merger AMG group and I was informed AMG USA in Santa Ana is/was just a federalization shop and does not have anything to do with AMG, the Mercedes tuner. The current name appears to be California Environmental Engineering that was located at 3231 S Standard Ave Santa Ana, CA 92705. They've have now moved to 2530 S. Birch Street Santa Ana, Ca 92707. California Environmental Engineering

If all the paperwork that says AMG is from this shop, then most likely its an SL with AMG inspired white-out paint, Penta wheels (check if they say AMG) and an AMG decklid logo.

So important to see which "AMG" worked on the car.

Still a very cool 80's piece of kit!

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
I wonder where the OP got the info. that it was Beverly Hills Mercedes AMG.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is a 1976 Vin.

My VIN is 32728 - only 18 cars later than this! Mine was first sold in July '76 (I have all the docs), and I believe it was manufactured around around/just before May (I don't have the exact date on that, but based on a few dates I've found on components/inspection tickets I think it was around then). Mine is a K-jet.

However, everything on the advertised car (interior, motor looks older than that) - but of course someone might have fitted them (I'd like that chrome shift gate!).

One thing I have noticed - if it is a 75 or 76, which originally had the under-hood cats, then there are mounts for the under hood torque dampers welded to the inner fenders roughly in line with the pulleys/belts. Even if an earlier (or later) motor was fitted, I think it's unlikely anyone would remove those.

-Steve

Sure looks like a 72 or 73 based on others observations plus under hood- old style brake reservoir, brass coolant tank, and early ps pump.

The vin is weird though. I wonder if there was front end damage prior to import that required replacement of the radiator support and it got replaced with one that had a newer vin tag. Maybe that would explain the salvage title?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Didn't the early cars have a VIN tag on the driver's side A-pillar? I'm not at home to check my own car for this (could be confused with other project cars).

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
Didn't the early cars have a VIN tag on the driver's side A-pillar? I'm not at home to check my own car for this (could be confused with other project cars).
Only North American models. ROTW only have the stamp and a VIN plate on the upper radiator cross support.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Three VIN locations in aware of (on NA cars)

- radiator support panel (stamped)
- drivers side B pillar, just below door latch (riveted plate)
- driver's side A pillar, half way up windshield (riveted plate)

-Steve

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Three VIN locations in aware of (on NA cars)

- radiator support panel (stamped)
- drivers side B pillar, just below door latch (riveted plate)
- driver's side A pillar, half way up windshield (riveted plate)

-Steve

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

In this case it looks like the tag on the drivers side B pillar is the import tag (mfg date on that one indicates import date maybe?)

As Rowdie said, I don’t think euros have one on the A pillar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Is it possible that the car's declared year of 1980 (vs. 1976) might have something to do with a manufacture date of 1980 of the swapped in 4.5 engine, if in fact it was manufactured in 1980? Maybe easier for certification purposes?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Only North American models. ROTW only have the stamp and a VIN plate on the upper radiator cross support.
My 1979 280SL has this VIN tag on the driver's side A pillar. This car has no sign of ever having been federalized, right down to the KPH speedometer. It also has the vin stamped on the radiator support, and the attached VIN plate on the radiator support.

I will look at my '84 later to see if it has one. The '84 was federalized.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
My 1979 280SL has this VIN tag on the driver's side A pillar. This car has no sign of ever having been federalized, right down to the KPH speedometer. It also has the vin stamped on the radiator support, and the attached VIN plate on the radiator support.

I will look at my '84 later to see if it has one. The '84 was federalized.
That is not a Mercedes tag.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Lots of questions about this car. I like D-Jets so I'm a fan of the early features on this one. The theory about a replacement rad support and subsequent import documentation using that VIN made me wonder if an A-pillar tag might solve the mystery.

I tried to figure out what an M117-988 engine is - no luck. The visible D-Jet parts make me want to wire brush that engine stamp for a closer look. Maybe this car has a build sheet in one of the Easter egg locations. That would answer some questions.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
I could not find any M117.988 engine reference for Mercedes either. I think that is a typo. 117-982-12-000952 would fit a 1972 US 350/450SL.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have absolutely nothing to add to this discussion but it’s truly fascinating. Will Columbo solve the mystery of the Calico SL?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't think any part of this car is 1980. I'm guessing it was titled that way to make it easier or less expensive to import. And I think that is the reason 1-1-1980 is listed as the date of manufacture. I think Daniel Alexander is the gentleman who imported it and owned until his death. I think the DCA on the driver's side floor mat are his initials and he had a personalized set that read DCA and MBZ.

I'm guessing Mr. Alexander liked the AMG look (as we all did then) and he bought some items from, possibly, Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories and other import shops in the LA area. In the Miami Vice era, it was like the wild west due to the intersection of low cost and ease of individual importing of German cars, as well as the rise of AMG and the AMG look. Seemed like anyone and everyone was doing it. It was easy and made sense because we could patch up bent bumpers and brightwork and shoot color on the parts for much less money than new or replated parts.

I think the car would be a good driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So while seeing this car up for public auction I ran into this forum post. After getting spun up on the history of this car I thought it would still be worth trying to bid like 3500 on it since it had some cool parts like the AMG Pentas, AMG front spoiler and Raid Turbo steering wheel. Low and behold some poor bastard bid this car up to 7800.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts