Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came from my indy mechanic to have my "check engine" light read. It had been going off and on for quite a while and he suggested I just wait until it stays on and/or I have some symtoms. It now stays on and pulled the following codes. 130,153,156 and 161. I read those codes and figure I need to replace 02 sensors: bank 2 sensor 2, bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. This is for a 1998 SL500 with 60K miles.

The mechanic said I needed to replace two and that they cost $200 each and the labor would be another $350 to $400. So basically I'm looking at 2 sensors he's looking to charge me around $800. Does this sound right?

I've done a forum search and can find the sensors on performance parts for $125. And the labor sounds high too.

Any advice? Anyone recommend a more reasonable shop in the Long beach Area? Thanks for any advice. I've been saving for a new top

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
If you are at all handy, you can easily swap out the 4 sensors. The only trick is the final torque must be accurate for the sensors to get a good ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, I will get another quote. Wish I had taken auto mechanic when I was in school. Unfortunately, back in my day they didn't allow girls in those classes!:crybaby2:

Anybody in the LA area that wants to make some "holiday present" money for this repair, drop me a line. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I will get another quote. Wish I had taken auto mechanic when I was in school. Unfortunately, back in my day they didn't allow girls in those classes!:crybaby2:

Anybody in the LA area that wants to make some "holiday present" money for this repair, drop me a line. :thumbsup:
I like holiday money, but I wouldnt change all the sensors, thats not going to fix the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mercedes Mechanic, tell me more......PLEASE!!! :)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Mercedes Mechanic, tell me more......PLEASE!!! :)
Well, lets start off with the odds of all four o2 sensors going out at the same time. Astronomical.

I think either there is a problem with the heater circuit for them or one of the wires burned thru by touching the exhaust pipe or he just cant diagnose it correctly.

Now being that there are no misfire codes, that tells me that its not running bad, buts its sucking down the gas?

BTW it take 5 minutes to change the o2 sensors, if you want to pay me $350.00-$400.00 for 20 minutes of work, I am all for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mechanic did not look at the car on the rack. I asked him to read the codes so I give me a ballpark. He actually said I need to have two replaced, but never mentioned which two. So, I asked a friend to pull the codes again and he gave me the four numbers I listed in my first post. I'm not looking to throw money away, but I'm don't want to have to damage my catalytic converter as I've read on these forums that can be quite expensive! I trust your advise.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The mechanic did not look at the car on the rack. I asked him to read the codes so I give me a ballpark. He actually said I need to have two replaced, but never mentioned which two. So, I asked a friend to pull the codes again and he gave me the four numbers I listed in my first post. I'm not looking to throw money away, but I'm don't want to have to damage my catalytic converter as I've read on these forums that can be quite expensive! I trust your advise.
Stop driving it until you get the correct diagnosis. That is about the only solid advise I can give you, anything else would be grasping at straws.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wish I could stop driving it, but it's my only car. My independent guy is not open on weekends. Do you think I should just take it to the dealer and bite the financial bullet?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Wish I could stop driving it, but it's my only car. My independent guy is not open on weekends. Do you think I should just take it to the dealer and bite the financial bullet?
Just for the diagnosis.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Do you know of any other indy shops that others have used and recommend? Any competent mechanic could replace O2 sensors and check for a bad wire.
And hopefully for a lot less that $350 labor:eek:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Call Mike over at BMB Rhinetrade, Santa Ana, tell him you only want the diagnosis. I guarentee you they will get it right the first time.

Did I hear right, your a girl? You know there isnt any girls allowed here right?

Here is their facebook page. I dont recommend them because me and the old man go way back, I do it because he will get it right.

BMB Rhinetrade Inc. - Automotive - Santa Ana, CA - Wall | Facebook

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know there are "no girls allowed" here. I've been trolling since the day I bought the car and have learned more than I ever thought possible! :) I'm also a teacher and have a class this morning but I will be calling BMB as soon as they open and will drive down right after my class. Thank you so much for all your advice. You guys on this board are the BEST!!!

I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
These can be difficult repairs if you are over 100, or even over 90. Plus many nursing homes won't let you work on your car in the parking lot.

But on the bright side the guy who said replace two was clearly talking about the two fronts, which are far more engaged in the operation of the car. That would be under $200 at AutohausAZ, and not a terrible next step, but they are supposed to be good for 100k miles.

My next step would be to google all four of those codes, for example "Mercedes P0130", etc. and then sit down and read for a while. And I would clear them with your OBDII code reader (borrowed or purchased at Walmart for $58) and see what code(s) comes back first.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3030-CanOBD2-Maintenance-Indicator-Car-Reader/13029622 (same price in stores)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts