Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased the oil and filters at my MB dealer to change my own oil and after I was done checked the owners manual only to find that there was no information on how to reset the oil change reminder like all the other vehicles that I have owned.

So I went back to the dealer to get the information and they refused to provide it for me. Told me that MB does not give out that information.,

This just isn't right, what do you think?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Correct - I believe the W166 Asyst Service Reminder can only be reset using STAR system or licensed equivalent.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Maybe you could try the process shown on this video for a GLK:

·
Registered
ML350
137 Posts
Purchased the oil and filters at my MB dealer to change my own oil and after I was done checked the owners manual only to find that there was no information on how to reset the oil change reminder like all the other vehicles that I have owned.

So I went back to the dealer to get the information and they refused to provide it for me. Told me that MB does not give out that information.,

Absolutely ridiculous! Although the majority of owners will be going to the dealer for service, there will always be DIY and those that don't live near dealers who will do it themselves. Not having key information on vital information or the deliberate omission of procedures for a reset borders on criminal. If it's my car, I want all the information. A strongly worded letter to MBUSA is necessary in this case.

·
Registered
2017 CLS550
195 Posts
This was also posted on another board. I said there and I'll say it here that this is not top secret information. I would tell the dealer that he better give me step by step instructions on how to reset the maintenance minder or he will not see me ever again. It will be found on the internet eventually - everything is - but if the dealer wants to make it difficult for his customers then I would even go so far as to not buy Mercedes again because it smacks of an attitude I can not tolerate.

I bought my ML from a dealer 140 miles away because I live way out in the country and I have no intention of bringing it in for nothing more than rotating tires, air/cabin filters, fluids checks and oil changes; those things are easy and all that is required for the first several years (or 40,000 miles) of operation. As much as I love the ML, if they are withholding this information to make you go to them for service then this will be the last Mercedes I will buy and that is just how strongly I feel about it.

And another point. This "maintenance minder" is not a sophisticated one such as has been in place on most automobiles since GM designed it nearly 20 years ago. I can look at the odometer and tell when 10,000 miles have passed. I can also look at the calendar and tell when a year has gone by. Those are the two factors Mercedes goes by for servicing. My Honda, eg, has a computer alogram system that monitors not only time and mileage but even more important factors such as driving conditions, habits and engine starts and temps, etc. It gives you accurate oil life expectancy and tells you when to change oil based on all those factors, not just an arbitrary number of X number of miles or X number of months which is a throw back to another era. Unless my information is wrong, the Mercedes maintenance minder is not important and essentially useless as a true maintenance minder and oil life expectancy monitor because it is only a time and mileage counter; they should not treat it as though it contains the secret for making the atom bomb!

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
Many wrongly believe the GM (and other) system has a sensor in the crankcase which is capable of measuring the oil quality. :(

The GM system is an approximation, but its a good approximation. I think you left out the quantity of fuel consumed. I'm guessing but I suspect the quantity of fuel consumed is a better simple meter of oil life than mileage. Fuel consumption accounts for idling in the drive-thru, hot rodding, and towing, which simple mileage can not.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I guess both of you sortof miss the point - thie is a Service reminder that needs to be "reset" - and frankly you are both kindof raging at the machine - which is somewhat humorous until each of you speak with your respective dealers and report back what they say.

The service reminder is clsed by reporting correct service has been done.

If you are going to DIY basic service - then you can save by buying the Mann equivalent oil and air filters from internet sources - and if you want to take premium care of your ML replace BOTH oil filter (fleece) and air filter every 10K miles - with aftermarket prices you can afford to replace both for less than retail for one filter type from your dealer.

·
Registered
2017 CLS550
195 Posts
Yes, a very good Mann type fleece filter is the Wix 57078 which I found on Amazon for $13. There are other brands available as well. A liquids/oil extractor is not necessary but will make oil changes much easier by sucking the oil from the top - you never even have to get under the car! Mercedes are built with this kind of extraction method in mind (hence the large opening at the dipstick) and I believe many dealerships change oil this way.

I also agree with fabbrisd1 that the maintenance minder is simply a service reminder, not a monitor, which is why I said it basically counts only mileage and time which I can easily do by looking at the odometer and calender. As such it is fairly useless as a system service monitor. This is good and bad. Bad because it is arbitrary like the old days when they told you to change oil every six months or 3,000 miles. I'm sure everyone here remembers those days. All Mercedes is doing is extending the time and mileage out but the principle is the same. It is arbitrary because why not 11 months instead of 12? Why not 9,000 miles instead of 10,000? Is there some magic that will occur at the one year/10,000 mile points?

The Mercedes system does not take into account other, more important factors that many manufacturer's systems consider, at least that is what I was led to believe. It can be considered good in the sense that maybe the Mercedes motor and the filters and oils they recommend are so advanced that no matter what the driving conditions, temperatures, etc. in which you drive you will be protected for at least 10,000 miles or one year - no matter what. Therefore making all the monitoring and collateral items that other cars use in their systems non factors. Given how advanced the monitoring systems are today (especially for oil life expectancy), I think I would like to see that kind of "real use" system as our maintenance minder no matter how good the filters and oils required are.

But fabbrisd1, you need to read the original poster's comments. You feel we need to talk to the dealer first before commenting but the original poster did just that and was told they would NOT tell him how to reset the reminder. That was the whole point of the thread - he DID report back what the dealer told him. I personally have not talked to the dealer about this subject but "just not right" did and the dealer response is what we are commenting on. I'm sure if I bought a car from you you would tell me how to reset it because I gather you are a common sense person (too bad you were just a bit too far from me or I would have bought from you!), UNLESS there is some policy involved that would prohibit you from doing so. And from what "just not right" said, his dealer made it sound like it was policy and that is the problem.

There is no reason whatsoever for Mercedes to forbid telling people how to reset the service reminder because that is all it is, a reminder, nothing more. If there is a warranty issue, the owner still has to prove the work was done and done properly no matter if the reset was made or not. That is why I always save receipts and make videos or take pictures of all my work. I just think that such a policy is another way to get folks into the service shop and discourage self maintenance. As someone who has worked on my own cars for the last fifty years I object to that.

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
There is no reason whatsoever for Mercedes to forbid telling people how to reset the service reminder because that is all it is, a reminder, nothing more. If there is a warranty issue, the owner still has to prove the work was done and done properly no matter if the reset was made or not. That is why I always save receipts and make videos or take pictures of all my work. I just think that such a policy is another way to get folks into the service shop and discourage self maintenance. As someone who has worked on my own cars for the last fifty years I object to that.
Its probably illegal not to provide this information. For instance the accepted interpretation of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975 forbids the manufacturer from mandating only their products be used for maintenance during the warranty period unless those products are provided free of additional charge. What this has forced manufacturers to do is publish specifications such as 229.51 that others may produce compatible product. You don't have to give away any secrets, you only have to provide performance specifications that product can be tested against.

Unless the manufacturer will turn off the Service Due light for free and upon customer's demand I think failure to provide a means falls under the above.

As for resetting the Service Indicator, this doesn't work? Mercedes-Benz Reset Service Indicator Guide 2009. I found it wanting for more detail such as "what is a service 1, service 2? etc." but it got the job done on my 2009 ML.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your input. I found this You Tube with verbal instructions and it worked just great.

I told my dealer that they should put up a large sign in the parts department telling their customers that they are happy to sell us our parts but they have no intention of providing us with any help. They just lost any further sales or service from me including my referrals.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Please understand that the Mercedes service reminder encompasses the full service detail for that particular maintenance period - if you are going to DIY or go indie you are obligated to keep well documented records for that service.

From my side - a 3-pack A-B-A prepaid service pack costs about $720 - and just looking oil/filter oil/Mann you are looking at $85 or so - and the dealer goes thru the remaining service checkoff's as well - including Sat diagnosis and free tranny software and other system updates.

Just my $.02 - your CSR by VIN can see recalls or campaigns - but until your ML is hooked up to updated/cloud Star that is when the system sees existing ML system info and that is when Star+ sees if there are software/firmware updates then - CSR doesn't have that visibility on that - there have been tranny and system firmware changes last year about every 3 months for particular evolving issues - as more owners have more road miles MB is updating firmware based on that combined road mile performance.

·
Registered
2013 ML350 BlueTEC; premium package; sport package; leather package; driving assistance package;bi-x
5 Posts

I agree with you 100%, it is not right. They should have given you the assistance that you requested in a helpful, respectful and courteous manner.

Perhaps you can share with all of us which dealership provided you with this experience. I'm sure they would appreciate the "free" advertising!

·
Registered
2000 BMW M5, 1997 F250, 1998 Altima, 2005 Honda Repsol 1000RR, 22FT Bayliner Capri Bowrider 5.0L
106 Posts
that is how the dealer makes money. true the info is no big secret. but if people want to do the work on their own then why can they not research the web to figure out how to reset the light on their own? i bet if you go into the dealer asking to watch their tech. do a repair so you can go home and do it yourself, they might laugh at you. (the tech likely paid 40k dollars to be go to school and learn the trade, and then must be certified by the OEM which requires alot of time and testing, why would he want to help you make his paycheck smaller?). this logic can be applied to almost any trade or job

1 - 15 of 15 Posts