Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 1995 C220. While I was completely stopped waiting to exit a parking lot, I was hit from behind and pushed into the car infront of me. The back is damaged also, the bumper is bent, the trunk is bent and will not close.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Yes. It doesn't take much to exceed the $2500 or so the book says it's worth. My C280 met a similar fate. Take the money and run.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If the rear is damaged like the front I would estimate the damage at over $4000.00 just from the pictures. Body work is much more expensive than most people think...
Looks totalled to me...

·
W203, W210 Moderator
6,905 Posts
Ouch, sorry to see your car like that....I hope your insurance co. will total the car.

Take care,
JOE55

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When a car is "totaled" does the repair cost have to be 100% or more of the value of the car?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
A 1995 C220. While I was completely stopped waiting to exit a parking lot, I was hit from behind and pushed into the car infront of me. The back is damaged also, the bumper is bent, the trunk is bent and will not close.

So in that case:
Any Parts For Sale ??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
When a car is "totaled" does the repair cost have to be 100% or more of the value of the car?
It has to be 75% - 80% of the cars market value.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I know of many cases where it is only 50%. This is why w202s are basically "disposable" cars now. Their values have depreciated so low but the repair costs are so high that even minor wrecks have damage totals that exceed 50%.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i can answer that question later today, i'm dealing with the same issue. Meeting my insurance guy again sometime in the late AM.

Thanks, any news on that?

I'm currently waiting for someone to the insurance company to come down to look at the car next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It has to be 75% - 80% of the cars market value.
ok that car is fine... i did alot worse where both airbags went off and the front was crunched.... i fixed the car for about 3G's and it was 95' c36 where that meant timing cover was cracked and whole new front end of the motor rebuilt... still have a clean title and it runs strong. but the insurance people would total that on the spot!!! that's why you just do it your self, if you know how!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
No. The one time I had that problem I found out that the cost of the repair only has to be more than what they are going to pay you minus what they think they can get for the wreck as a parts donator. So the repair may only be 60% of the KBB. It also probably varies by insurance company.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At this point I hope it is totaled. Is there anything I can do on my end to help that, or no?

·
Registered
53 Posts

I had a 10MPH crash with a rock on a slippery road this winter in my 98 C230 and the "minor" damage came to $4200!!! My saving grace was the low mileage on my ride and a very understanding insurance agent and Body Shop. Good luck with this. I know a guy in Ohio who can find you a good replacement. Sorry to see this. Looked like you took good care of the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts