Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks - I have a newbie question on a 350SL that I am considering if I may.

Is the opening here a normal pressing?

If I can sneak in another question is the area above the jack receptacle prone to rust? There are some spots there that I bet are a lot worse after a go with a screw driver (the tool, not the drink). It looks like maybe water sat in the trim? The car is a metallic brown so it is paint that you are seeing where the undercoating is thin.

Thanks

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,354 Posts
Looks like a jack was put on the pan, buckled it and broke the weld.
Second is the jack hole and looks OK to me.

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

How concerned should I be about that broken weld? I'd imagine that it will let water into places you really don't want water getting into.

Here is the last section that looks questionable;

Given that it looks scabby I'd expect I'll have issues once I take a wire brush to it, but I'm not sure how much of an issue this will be. Any coaching to pass along?

Thanks!

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,354 Posts
Broken weld: It should be a fairly easy fix. Not expensive. Any body shop can straighten, weld and undercoat it.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Depending on price of car, those faults don't look bad. And good thing, none of them are in the main paintwork. I have had my 350SL for 20+years and have had to address two of those problem areas:

- My trunk sump area had NO metal left! I would just remove any loose rust and then paint with about 3 coats of POR-15. I did that 20+ years ago and it is still perfect.
- The rocker panels and jack point always get some rust. You could dremel out those rust holes, paint with POR-15 followed by black enamel. Maybe even do the whole panel. I also oil sprayed the inside of my rockers.

The broken weld should be fixed, but shouldn't cost much.

You might also look at the floor pans and the inner fender liners. Especially behind front wheels and where the liner seals against the fender.

Another spot to check, is around the battery tray.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,563 Posts
Depending on price of car, those faults don't look bad. And good thing, none of them are in the main paintwork. I have had my 350SL for 20+years and have had to address two of those problem areas:

- My trunk sump area had NO metal left! I would just remove any loose rust and then paint with about 3 coats of POR-15. I did that 20+ years ago and it is still perfect.
- The rocker panels and jack point always get some rust. You could dremel out those rust holes, paint with POR-15 followed by black enamel. Maybe even do the whole panel. I also oil sprayed the inside of my rockers.

The broken weld should be fixed, but shouldn't cost much.

You might also look at the floor pans and the inner fender liners. Especially behind front wheels and where the liner seals against the fender.

Another spot to check, is around the battery tray.
And if you really want to check an important spot for rust, hopefully the seller will let you take the eight screws out that hold the blower cover on. Rot inside there is apparently hellacious to repair. From what you have shown of the car (the trunk pan), I would not expect there to be rot in the blower compartment, but you never know. That trunk pan looks like it might knock down the sale price of the car by $50. $20 materials. $30 labor. Those might be high estimates. Mine looked horrible, but took me about 20 minutes to brush, sand, phosphoric acid, Por-15, an top coat.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,354 Posts
That looks like minor surface rust in the trunk. Looks to me that some things laid there and rusted not the panel.

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys - this is a huge help - and very much appreciated.

Some more underside pictures;

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Looks good to me but be sure and poke at the undercoat with a screw driver as these cars will hide rust well. I'm sure there are some cars out there where the undercoat is all that is holding the floor of the car together.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
257 Posts
I didnt find any corrosion on my '77 untill I changed the flex discs and carrier bearing. When I pulled the pan off that covers the carrier bearing there was a 1" hole corroded at one of the sheet metal screws. Couldnt see it until you pulled the pan off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts