Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
slk
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if its because I drive a Mercedes, but I get the rudest looks from people. I never knew driving a Mercedes could cause so much anger in some people.

·
Registered
08 135 vert 6mt-formerly 08 CLK 350-formerly 01 SLK 6MT
150 Posts
Not here in SoCal....they are like a "you know what", it seems like everyone has one so only the designos and magmas stick out[8D]

·
Registered
95 NSX / 98 SLK
382 Posts
There are so many MB's in Sarasota that it's totally commonplace.

I have noticed that other MB drivers and even other SLK drivers don't seem to feel any bond with each other on the street. When I rode motorcyles we would almost all wave and acknowledge each other. I never get a nod from other SLK drivers which is kind of a bummer.

I did have a guy come up to me at the gas pump one day and ask if I had a V-12 under the hood. LOL!

·
Registered
2003 SLK320
585 Posts
the first day i took my slk out, a woman in a camaro convertible pulls up alongside me at a traffic light and hollers "My car's all paid off!!"

I almost wanted to shout back "Yeah. but its still a chevy". I just said " Wait 5 more years and mine will be too!"

my life has definitely been on the upswing after i got this baby. flashy sunburst yellow to boot. i guess it takes a certain kind of sparkiling personality to carry of a certain colored car and I guess I have it. I really haven't had any hot gals check out my car yet though like i expected!!

·
Registered
SLK 320, 450 SL
629 Posts
Yes it happens in both my SL and SLK. I don't notice it all that much anymore myself but a passenger friend is always telling me about the rude looks the cars draw out of drivers and pedestrians alike.

There are a few nice "thumbs up" people in the mix too!

One older guy in a new SL the other day showed his childish envy for what reason I can't figure out since he's driving an SL, but he made a point to race me and try to weave in and out of lanes to stay in front of me until he panicked as he came up on a police car as I passed them both by legally!

Some people are just never happy it seems.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When I owned my Honda S2000, there was a lot more of the "bond with each other."

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I get "I like your moms car" a lot. I just smile and tell em I like there mom more and drive off. Im a tad younger than most benz drivers (21) so I get the rich kid steriotype a lot. Hot chicks in north scottsdale all drive better cars than I do so I dont get that many women checkin out the ride unless I drive down deeper into the city. In response to the chick in the chevy that said my cars paid off...... anyone who thinks like that more than likely doesnt have her car paid off and she is using all her resources to afford that pile of shit so it prolly made her feel better about herself. Id laugh and drive off. People are retarded and ive givin up wasting my time giving a shit.

SLK drivers dont wave at me ever..... they hate me I think. Now SL500 drivers allways wave, some kind of sick big brother thing going on im better than u lol. I respect em tho they do kick ass.

--Deathy

·
Registered
2003 SLK320
585 Posts
i haven't had too many SLKs drive next to me. so i am not sure how they wud react. but try not to get into a wreck/crash kids. if u drive a benz, people "assume" u r stinking rich and will try to get money from you.

Yo Palmateer, dawg, do u really own 5 cars?? I am putting way too many miles on my SLK. can i borrow one that u don't use much[;)][:D]

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
Its interesting on the reaction on where I am at. At home around SF reactions vary widely but never a wave. At work ppl wave all the time around stanford, cept for the porsche owners.

·
Registered
01 Silver 320 Sport
41 Posts
arevee - 5/5/2005 1:21 PM

i haven't had too many SLKs drive next to me. so i am not sure how they wud react. but try not to get into a wreck/crash kids. if u drive a benz, people "assume" u r stinking rich and will try to get money from you. [;)][:D]
I agree with Arvee
I had my car for 2 months and came upon an accident in the road. I tried to drive around it when a woman stepped out in front of my car and wouldn't let me pass. After a some choice "verbage" on both our parts I backed up and went a different way. The following day the cops showed up at my door saying she claimed I 'hit' her. Took another 2 months and lots of phone calls to make it go away.
In the meantime I've raised my insurance coverage in case someone else sees "money" as I drive down the street.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Switzerland is pretty upscale, so you see lots of luxury cars here and there in the major cities. Some people do call you out for driving an MB tho'.

Sh1t happens, just let it pass and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
bojacx - 5/5/2005 3:13 PM

I agree with Arvee
I had my car for 2 months and came upon an accident in the road. I tried to drive around it when a woman stepped out in front of my car and wouldn't let me pass. After a some choice "verbage" on both our parts I backed up and went a different way. The following day the cops showed up at my door saying she claimed I 'hit' her. Took another 2 months and lots of phone calls to make it go away.
In the meantime I've raised my insurance coverage in case someone else sees "money" as I drive down the street.
What a BS. Should've tried getting her for insurance fraud.

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
One of my good friends just upgraded from an old mazada 626 to a new black on black C55. He just told me today that he notices a lot of dirty looks, shaking fists, rude comments etc from other drivers.

I don't seem to get that as much in the SLK. Except when I drop the top at a stop light. That always draws attention.

PT

·
Registered
2003 SLK320
585 Posts
its all about class people. benz owners got it, others don't! they got only envy!!

whoa, if the SLK/SL top doesn't get somebody's attention, nothing else on earth will!

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
Most people are fairly nice to me. Every once in a while someone driving a Mustang has to try and show that they have a badder car... it's fun to see the look on their faces when I leave 'em.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Most people are nice, and even make comments about how nice the car is. Most of the "rude" ones are teenagers who think they have a devine right to own a nice car without doing a days work. Only problem I get is in traffic queues and trying to get onto the street from side streets... lots of drivers have the "you have a merc so you can f***ing wait" attitude.

·
Registered
2003 MB SLK 320
35 Posts
I am so glad this topic came up. I bought my SLK for me and not really caring what other people thought. I did have some expectation that people my notice that I was a 30'ish hispanic male in a 320 SLK (my personal thoughts is that that this may not be to common :)

I even thought I might see a gold digging woman or two be nice to me due to my ride but I did not care as I have been married for over 8 years and I am more concerned about keeping my money not spending it.

What I have found out is that to date as far as I know NO woman have seemed to notice at all and the only attension I get is from 30-60 year old white males who give me this funny look like when you see some that does not look quite right....

MAYBE that is me projecting as maybe what is actually happening is what you guys are getting in that they just do not like the fact tht I own a SLK and that it has noting to do with my race. I live in Jacksonville FL so maybe that is also why I was thinking like that....

funny thing is guys is that the only time I noticed women seemed to care one way or the other is I just lost 30 lbs because I was very sick and I went from 190 to 160 (stil keeping 22% bodyfat) and I have noticed women smile at me alot more when walking past them.

so I gues the moral for guys who want women to notice them (except in LA of course) is to get a slimmer body any way you can rather than try to impress with a car.

I still think I look much worse then I did at 190 so this is very ironicly funny to me as even my wife seems to like the slimmer look!!!![xx(]

Elias

·
Registered
99 230 SLK Sport
42 Posts
Maybe I just read this wrong but are you saying your car went from chick to dick magnet in Florida???

[xx(][xx(]

Here in SoCal it seems to be driven by more ladies than men..at least thats who I see driving on the HWY.

·
Registered
2003 SLK320
585 Posts
elias: if u r the only hispanic guy on earth driving an SLK, I must be the only Indian guy doing so. to hell with all the "hot" women and everyone else. why do u care--u r paying money for your car , for your enjoyment. Then u probably deserve it! cuz even in this age of credit not many people can afford a mercedes, leave alone an SLK. even the lowly C-class easily tops off around $35,000 with all options.. so, if u've got it flaunt it! I think all of us 3,70,000 SLK owners worldwide deserve it! its a special car that deserves special mention. it screams that "he/she has arrived"!!! I sure have!

I know my family back home is super proud that I drive a benz convertible!All the ladies in my life LIKE MY CAR!!!!!

PS: any weight loss suggestions?? I have put on 25lbs in 4 months! dang it!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts