Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
Well, what do you mean by slower? Actually I don't know the answer to that question no matter what you mean, but I'll take a stab at some educational guesses.

Top speed. Most likely slower since the aerodynamics are probably poorer with the top down.

Acceleration. I actually think this may be faster with more weight sitting on the rear wheels. I don't think drag is much of a factor in 0-60.

Around the twisties. Top down, once again better acceleration, and a lower center of gravity. I believe I've read that the car handles better with the top down.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Not that I've noticed.
My SLK 230K went to 142 mph with the roof down, and that was it's governed speed limit.
The SLK 32 is also governor limited and will hit 155 with the roof up or down.
It gets awful noisy with the roof down, and I sure don't recommend it. [;)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Top speed in my 230K was slightly lower with top down.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Dealer info at one time claimed 131 top speed with top down and 139 with top up on the 230 .....was probably more realistic and more universal (average car, more locations, various conditions, etc.,etc., etc., your top speed may vary..do not try this at home, etc.) than many will care to admit. After all, it can cut down on bragging rights [:D]

Still, tho, not too shabby for a lil ol four banger.

Regards

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Based on what I've learned in the past it is harder for the SLK to achieve the speeds it can do with the top up caused by drag. The faster you go, the more the drag will act like an anchor.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
There were a couple of tests done on S2000s in Germany. There was a roughly 10 mph difference between top up and down. I think they also had a few datapoints with the hardtop. The '32 produces much more torque than the S2k. It shouldn't have a problem reaching the electronic limiter. Take the limiter off (new ECU) and you would see a difference on the top end. I wouldn't want to be the one testing that theory at 180mph with the top down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts