Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E200 MasterPiece
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Does the automatic W124 downshifts automatically when pedal is stepped hard?

I have not really felt it in my W124 E200...

·
Registered
1989 300SL
127 Posts
Hey Louistrd,

It certainly does that on my 230 and my 200. The whole process takes a sec or two (at least feels like it) and, particularly on the 200 doesn't seem to make it go much quicker (but thats just a 4cyl Merc for you!).

Apparently there is a kickdown switch which regulates this, if yours has no reaction maybe its something to do with this?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Do you have the E S switch next to the gear knob?

If yes switch it to S and punch the pedal it will hesitate slightly then launch at a lower gear. If this doesn't work the connection at the tranny may be bad.

If no, then you can get the tranny to downshift automatically by first shifting down to 3 then back to D then hitting the accelerator.

Or you can press the accelerator down until it hits the kickdown switch behind the acelerator pedal. You can see the switch for yourself if you look down there.

·
Registered
'95 E200 MasterPiece
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yal - 2/9/2005 1:07 PM

If yes switch it to S and punch the pedal it will hesitate slightly then launch at a lower gear. If this doesn't work the connection at the tranny may be bad.

If no, then you can get the tranny to downshift automatically by first shifting down to 3 then back to D then hitting the accelerator.

Or you can press the accelerator down until it hits the kickdown switch behind the acelerator pedal. You can see the switch for yourself if you look down there.
HUH?!? You mean there is a kickdown switch behind the accelerator pedal? I see.... This is the most major discovery of today :)

Thanks again Yal! I'll take a look at it tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
louistrd - 2/9/2005 1:33 PM

Yal - 2/9/2005 1:07 PM

HUH?!? You mean there is a kickdown switch behind the accelerator pedal? I see.... This is the most major discovery of today :)

Thanks again Yal! I'll take a look at it tomorrow!

LOL[:D]Cool no problem..wait till you discover the dimmer switch for the instrument cluster. Blew me away the first time I found it [:D]

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Its starring right at you. On your instrument cluster you know the one with the speedometer and gas guage there are two pins sticking out of the cluster. The left one is a dimmer switch. Justs turn it.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,198 Posts
Yal - 2/9/2005 5:12 PM

Its starring right at you. On your instrument cluster you know the one with the speedometer and gas guage there are two pins sticking out of the cluster. The left one is a dimmer switch. Justs turn it.
That was worth the laugh...

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
It took me a year before I discovered what other things the key can do in the door lock or trunk lock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts